250 Or 300 For Newbie

stev0

hey guys.

I'm looking to start toying with a trials bike for some free ride type stuff. I'm a big guy so nearly anything underneath me is tiny. I was advised to look at a smaller 250 and have found a good deal on a 2010 txt pro.

About two years ago I had a 2012 raga 300 for a week and enjoyed it a lot. Coming from an Enduro background it was so much fun riding it over everything.

I'm about to pull the trigger on this 250 when I had a call from a guy offering me his 2009 300 txt for basically the same sort of money. Is there a reason why I should not look at the 300?

I'm 1,95 and roughly 115kg. The bike will be used for mountain type trail riding in the beginning and perhaps a local even every now and then depending on how my skill progresses.

Suggestions would. Be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I'd go for a 250. I'm a beginner too, I'm around 65kg and have started with a 200, more than enough power to buck me off occasionally.

I think a 300 gasgas would be tiring, and a 250 is not a 'little' bike by any means.

The 250 will take you anywhere easily, however I get the impression you really want the 300!

I have always been of the opinion that if you ride what you want to, and not what others think is best, then your on the right bike for you! if that makes sense???

I decided I really wanted a 300 after a few years on a 200, and I love it. I have a 300 evo which I believe is a little less aggressive than the Gas Gas, but I find it easy to ride (at my novice/clubman level). I use it for club trials, time trials and generally messing about on......great bike.

Good luck with the decision

If you were a complete novice I would advise you to go for the 250, but with your enduro background you should already have good throttle control so go for the bike in the best condition and try them out first to see what feels best to you.

The 250 should be easier to kick over and a bit smoother on the throttle, the 300 will have more pulling power for big climbs and steps but may be more tiring to ride.

Either should work well for what you plan to use them for so ride them both and buy what feels best to you.

I'm going to go take the 300 for a ride and see how she goes. I'll give the 250 some serious consideration. I'm not concerned with really big step ups right now as I think it will take a very very long time for me to master them. Right now it's all about technique and having fun.

I'll let you know what I come how with tomorrow.