Jumping Out Of First?

breagh

A friend of mine has a 14 Evo 250.

Has jumped out of first ,but only on about 6 occasions over the year.

He's pretty convinced he pushes the gear home and not imagining it.

Dealers had a good look at it and can't really do much which is hardly surprising.

Any advice welcome.

First is very surprising. A bike jumping out of gear can be very unsettling. ( I rode Montesa`s that were scary) I would pull the clutch cover off and have a look. If you look at the manual 3.5.2 on gear changing. It is possible to break the piece on the center cases just above the shift mechanism. ( The piece where it has like three reinforced pieces coming to it) Also check the rollers on the end of the shift drum. Good Luck. He does not have the shifter mounted too low?

There was an email sent out to all 2014 beta owners referring to a gear selector fault on some bikes. I believe a rivet was not correctly fitted and can fall out. I'm unsure what the symptoms would be should this rivet fall out but it's worth checking.

Good luck

Just found the email from John Lampkin....

"We have had a problem with some bikes where the rivet in the gear selector has dropped out. This has only happened in about 2-3% of bikes. I feel it would be correct to check the selector in all bikes. You should find the selector rivet in place. You should centre pop the rivet which you can do on a hard surface which will ensure the rivet cannot come out. The diagram shows a faulty selector where the rivet has dropped out. You can see the rivet has been riveted using a machine but it has not been done correctly. The rivet should be located in the hole.

To do the job you must take out the rear sump bolt then find a wedge to hold the sump down 2-3cm. You must then remove the clutch. The selector will then come straight out. Be careful with shims on the selector shaft. You must re tighten the clutch centre nut to 70Nm using lock tight.

We have had so few bikes with this fault that maybe it is not necessary but I feel for riders that are competing in the SSDT, nationals and British Championship etc it is a worthwhile job to do."

Hope this helps..

• Like 1

Conventional wisdom?, I have never heard of that one in my over 30 years in the motorcycle business

Wether up or down the cam does exactly the same thing unless there are sloppy parts moving around

I would pull it apart and check the shift drum pins and cap, a guy told me his new Beta fell apart

Also clutch drag will affect shifting as there is a load on the transmission

Easy test is gently load the shifter with the bike running and then push the kill switch, if the bike shifts as the engine stops then clutch drag is making the trans sticky

I wouldn't expect to fix it completely, but Dan's clutch plate clean up does a lot for it

Well 1st to 2nd has to go through neutral. I suspect the slope of the indexing cam is not steep enough or the spring on the indexing plunger is weaker to make shifting easier so it never fully indexes into 2nd. All engineering theory aside sometimes the simple solution is best...

I shift 1st to 2nd, bike pop out of gear, me crash, ow.

I shift 3rd to 2nd, bike stay in gear... me crash but my own fault. ow.

• Like 1

I've had my 2013 pop out of second a few times. Put me down in the mud when it did. Now I follow the conventional wisdom and shift up to third first then down to second.

I used to do this before I rode every section. Not because my bike popped out of gear. Just to be sure which gear I had selected.

I have heard that a few riders of 2012s on have had this problem occasionally. One rider said he had heard that the shift forks had been lightened making them a bit springy and flexible resulting in poor engagement but I have never had this confirmed from an authoritative source. I tried a 300 on which the rider was complaining of it coming out of 2nd gear but it did not happen for me.

I have a 2013 300 that was jumping out of gear a lot. I thought I was hitting the shifter, but when it happened while running fast trails I knew something was up. I was told by the dealer that it had warranty if the trans failed it would be covered. So I threw caution to the wind, and powershifted my little heart out. After lots of fast running up and down through the gears it eventually bedded in and has been much better.

The oil is always clean with no major filings.

I might get the occasional pop out that may happen only once in a few rides.