What Are Beta Trials Bike Really Like?

renegade master

I've had excellent luck with Betas but all brands have their foibles. Betas are known for failures of the trigger coils in the ignition stator and erosion of the metal around the water pump impeller. First year EVOs (2009) cracked frames at the headstock but Beta replaced these for free. Beta clutches require a little cleaning up work to work properly. See pinned post on top. Betas with Mikuni carbs tended to piddle fuel due to having too long vent tubes. (easily fixed), 2000 Rev 3s broke swingarms. Betas are monster climbers but have a tendency to want to stall on downhills if the carb is not set up correctly. Has to do with the angle of the carb.

From a riding point of view Betas are very stable bikes. They sort of feel like you are sitting in the bike as opposed to some other geometry where you feel on top of the bike. Hard to explain in a concise manner. You just have to ride a few. Engine wise Betas are somewhat schizophrenic. It seems that one year the factory wants a bike for experts, the next year for clubmen. Again you really need to ride a particular bike to get a feel for the motor in that particular bike. Betas have been traditionally rather front heavy. Again personal preference. Some people prefer the light front end of the GasGas but I find them tough to steer without washing out. Probably just means I've been on Betas too long to ride a GasGas.

If you're buying a new bike they're all pretty damn good at this point but yeah they all have issues. GasGas gearboxes/starter gears, Ossa's hard starting, Honda/Montesa....Price. I have no knowledge of the Sherco problems and the JTG is also a mystery to me.

If you are buying a used bike any one from a Senior rider who has more time and money to fettle than ride is always a good bet. A used expert's bike is, well, used.

Edited by dan williams
  • Like 1

Thanks a mil for that aswome reply! you sure know your stuff!, I am just after reliability, and looks like Beta or Montesa are in the lead! I had a Sherco but it felt like a toy, the breaks were crap, the suspension was awfull and the airfilter/airbox was no good if you ran in to a small puddle or over damp or wet ground, well better be walking home! I have a gas gas atm well I have 2 gassers and one of them is great and I like everything about it! but my other one well every single thing that could go wong on it does!!!! and the parts are costly!!! my mate has one too, so thats why I am looking for a change?

I see you didnt say anything bad about Montesa bar the price, would be worth it if they didnt break down! ha!......

Alot of the guys I see here in Ireland tend to say that Betas are the preferred choice!!!

Cheers

Regards,

Colin

Had 4 evo's from new. One blew a shock absorber (warranty), all of them had glass mudguards which shattered by looking at them ( £80+ rear, £40+ front). Apart from that no problems, a good tool with a good back up by the importer. My one Montesa 4rt was a pain to service and worryingly for a 4 stroke, would get water in the air box, the bash plate was weak and the clutch dragged, I think i expected better fom the, so called, mighty Honda. At present and last year I am on gas gas with my fingers crossed.

My first bike is a beta rev 3 200 06. Buying it used there has been quite a few issues, had to repair the clutch case where the water pump is due to corrosion, also filed down the clutch to stop the automatic takeoff. The engine is excellent, really grippy in mud and it's a light bike, really enjoyable to ride.

Can't comment on evos, might get one further down the line- either that or a ossa or JTG.

If you are talking 4T...

My wife's bike is a 2014 250 4T that arrived last January and has 65 hrs plus on it now.

Only mods are removing front light for a flat plate, one tooth down on front sprocket, new grips, bar ends and lanyard.

Rear sprocket and chain are still original as is spark plug. I drop oil and filter every 15 -20 hrs using a full synth 10w-50.

Side stand bracket is very weak so I welded in a gusset to triangulate it somewhat and is fine now... it used to bend easily when bike on side stand.

Fan stopped working 20 hrs ago and I traced it to a loose terminal in a plug, crimped plug terminal a fraction more and all is well.

Front brake a little sticky and have disassembled master cylinder and its still there so calliper strip and inspect is next. Doesn't stop riding though, just sticky enough to be "I know its there and I want it gone"!

Valve clearances were so out of spec from day one you could hear them at idle. Did clearances to spec and been quiet ever since. Must have been a Monday/Friday bike as others were in spec... might have been just a few that slipped through?

It has been very reliable to date and she will keep it for some time yet.

Mags

• Like 1