Gear Shift ? Brake Switch + Photos

1973tr6

Is it possible to switch the gear shift with the rear brake on the 1976 183 model Sherpa. There is a boss coming out of the engine case on the ignition side which moves with the shifter but there are no splines. It looks like there is a plastic cover on the spline but I haven't investigated it yet.

post-20659-0-06065000-1418691563_thumb.jpg

post-20659-0-69572600-1418691771_thumb.jpg

post-20659-0-58181100-1418691790_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1973tr6

Yes, you can change to l/h shift, if that's your preference - it's a through-shaft, and you should find splines under that cap (hopefully undamaged if the gear lever has always been on the other side).

You will need a different/cranked l/h. lever to clear the chain.

Less straightforward will be the brake control change to r/h. Later models with r/h. brake have a crossover "Bowden" cable whose outer is anchored between a frame bracket above the pedal and a bracket on the upper face of the swing arm gusset close to the pivot. If your bike doesn't already have these you will need to fabricate your own, or scheme some other way. An existing unused hole in the r/h. frame footrest plate can be used for a bolt-on pedal pivot, and most owners seem to use a steel fabricated pedal in preference to an o.e. style alloy item.

My own view is that from a design standpoint this crossover cable is less than ideal - **many riders complain of loss of feel, etc. and this is further aggravated by the use of pattern cables, the o.e. Bultaco item being no longer available.**

**Pure hearsay on my part - all my Bults have r/h. shift, but I do also have road bikes...... with l/h.

• Like 1

You would be looking at a fair bit of $ for the cable, brake lever and bits. Check ebay & InMotion for both and it will give you an idea of cost. Another point to consider is your shifter will not clear the case unless you mount it vertically and cut a bit out of it to shorten the throw & so you can get your boot on it more easily. Fairly awkward especially in a section, standing on one leg. If you try to mount it lower you must bend it outward to get it to clear the ignition case and the lever will be unprotected, just looking for a rock to hit. Also, I found that the kick start assembly was in the way of the lower mounting-very unsatisfactory all round. As above, the "feel" from the cable operated is spongy feeling as well.

The cap you have on the shifter shaft is likely to break apart. I found that a piece of black fuel line over the well greased splined end gave a nice look and good protection. The caps are still available but as always, for a price. It might be an idea to get an old alloy lever and cut it to fit with a spot of weld & put it on the left side, vertically and see if you like it before you invest-Good Luck, it is a nice looking bike!

• Like 1

Another thought is that if you want to make the change to right foot braking, you can still use the nice RH shifter. No probs doing both jobs with the same foot and nothing to get in the way of the kickstart. I know of a few people riding late model Sherpa Ts set up like this

• Like 1

Another thought is that if you want to make the change to right foot braking, you can still use the nice RH shifter. No probs doing both jobs with the same foot and nothing to get in the way of the kickstart. I know of a few people riding late model Sherpa Ts set up like this

+1 for this suggestion - I've also heard in the past of Sherpas using this set-up, although I never got to see one.......

Lorenzo, If you care to look @ Twin Shock forum here on TC under " Wes Exhaust For Sherpa T" you can see an example.

Currently adapting late Alp rear wheel to NATC riders 199, it however will retain LH shift. No more cable.

Larry

Edited by lbhbul

I've considered running brake pedals on both sides. With the shifter pointed up as most riders seem to do, there's plenty of room and there's pedal mounting brackets on both sides already. I haven't followed up on my thoughts, but it seems like a good idea to me.