Fantic 309 Back From The Dead

mufflerbearings

I recently picked up a 1991 Fantic 309 from a friend; I really don't need another motorbike, but I've always wanted a trials bike and I couldn't pass it up at the price he offered.

IMG_0393-L.jpg

The old saying "You get what you pay for" applies here; the poor old thing needs some love! I got it to start with some fresh fuel, new petcock, fuel line and a spark plug. Throttle response is not terribly crisp, and the idle hangs a bit, so I'm going to go through the carb tonight.

I know very little about this bike, and I'm learning as I go. I hope you Fantic gurus can help me with a couple questions:

1. Fuel mix should be 50:1? I think I read that on this site at one point.

2. I haven't worked with the Dellorto PHBH 26 carb; anything weird to look out for?

3. The stanchions on the Marzocchi inverted fork measure 35mm in diameter; where would I source fork seals for these? I've seen seals advertised for 1992 309's that measure 36mm x 48mm x 10.5mm, but nothing for a 1991 309.

4. Most importantly, does anyone know where I can find a non-leaky fuel tank? My repair to the original didn't take.

Thank you in advance for any direction you can offer!

If your in the US , try the Trials shop in New York , if in the UK look up Bill Pye Fantic ...

Glenn

Just noticed the sticker on the bike , so your in cali , give "the Trials Shop " in Locke ,NY. a shot....

Edited by axulsuv

2. I haven't worked with the Dellorto PHBH 26 carb; anything weird to look out for?

Yes it has 2 pilot jets one under the other. The one at the bottom of the casting has some tiny holes in it that will block up if you look at it the wrong way!

Once you've cleaned the carb it makes sense to put an inline fuel filter on the fuel supply.

Some specifications here...

http://www.fanticmotor.asso.fr/r02_f31.htm

Use fully synthetic 2T oil. Most owners run a 70:1 mix without any problems but only with top spec fully synthetic oil. If you use anything else then 50:1.

The carb is easy to work on. If it's worn then a direct replacement is often an economical answer as parts add up quick. Check the inlet rubber is sealing as they leak air.

A good condition used tank might be favorite and a used front mudguard/fender would be a good idea.

For fork seals and parts try http://www.r2wtrials.co.uk/html_files/bobwright.html or http://www.nickandkaren.co.uk/frankfieldfantic.co.uk/index.html

You've got a nice old Fantic there and well worth spending a little time and money getting it right.

Many thanks to all who have replied. I find surprisingly little information about this bike online, so your expertise is incredibly helpful.

I'll be on the phone to tryals shop tomorrow to see about a tank and fork seals. If I can't find a tank, I'll dump in some Caswell's sealer and see what happens.

I tore down the carb tonight, and as expected, it was a gummy mess. I have a gasket/o-ring kit on order. It was running "kinda ok" prior to taking off the carb, but I can't wait to see how it is once the carb is properly sorted.

Looks like Richard Allen is breaking("Parting Out" in USAspeak) a couple of 247s,same tank,different color,he ships to USA. Allensusedtrialsspares dot co dot uk,you can also find him on Facebook

Go to FB and join "Hard to find twinshock trials & aircooled mono",Also join "Trials Riders" (my group, and I also happen to own a 309)

Edited by htrdoug

The PHBH26BS on your Fantic has a port that appears to be a vent tube running into the airbox. It actually feeds air to the pilot system. Check that this tube is in good condition and not rotted or restricted in any way. There are two other vents, one on each side, that are connected via a small tube. This tube is cut open at the bottom so the vents can breathe.

The forks are Foral and will accept 2 seals in each leg. Helps to keep the oil in place. As already mentioned, 70:1 using high quality full syntectic.

also a 309 owner

Looks like Richard Allen is breaking("Parting Out" in USAspeak) a couple of 247s,same tank,different color,he ships to USA. Allensusedtrialsspares dot co dot uk,you can also find him on Facebook

Go to FB and join "Hard to find twinshock trials & aircooled mono",Also join "Trials Riders" (my group, and I also happen to own a 309)

htrdoug, thank you for the lead on a tank! I was hoping some parts crossed over from one model to another. I'm making one final attempt to seal the original, and if it doesn't work, I'll be contacting Mr. Allen.

The PHBH26BS on your Fantic has a port that appears to be a vent tube running into the airbox. It actually feeds air to the pilot system. Check that this tube is in good condition and not rotted or restricted in any way. There are two other vents, one on each side, that are connected via a small tube. This tube is cut open at the bottom so the vents can breathe.

The forks are Foral and will accept 2 seals in each leg. Helps to keep the oil in place. As already mentioned, 70:1 using high quality full syntectic.

also a 309 owner

monty348, my carb is marked "NS" instead of "BS". Are these essentially the same part? I didn't notice a vent tube routed to the airbox when I removed the carb (any hoses that may have been attached to vent ports at one time apparently rotted and fell off long ago), so I'm not sure which port I would route to the airbox.

You referred to the forks as "Foral". Is this the model? Google was of no help to me on this one.

Thanks again for the help!

monty348, my carb is marked "NS" instead of "BS". Are these essentially the same part? I didn't notice a vent tube routed to the airbox when I removed the carb (any hoses that may have been attached to vent ports at one time apparently rotted and fell off long ago), so I'm not sure which port I would route to the airbox.

You referred to the forks as "Foral". Is this the model? Google was of no help to me on this one.

Thanks again for the help!

Ah yes, it is a "NS". I stand corrected. IIRC the tube to route to the airbox is on the right side of the carb (opposite the choke lever).

I don't know who manufactured the forks but they were also used on the Aprilia Climber. PM me with your email address and I'll send you some literature.