Tr280I Winter Makeover

ric h

It's looking a bit ratty and I want to do a couple of things to the bike to make it more suitable to me.the frame is going to get a black powdercoat,the triples are getting black anodizing and i'll change the airbox cover for the new style vented one.I'm going to try and see if I can get a 2015 sticker set for it if it will fit the 2011 plastics.Might have to get a newer seat base and bendy rear fender.While the engine is out,another base gasket is going in to make it easier to kick thru.I doubt it will effect low end power,but I might lose top end.Never use all of it anyway.

post-18077-0-91649300-1419184924_thumb.jpg

post-18077-0-81045700-1419185093_thumb.jpg

Figured out why I haven't been able to up the rear preload this summer.The threads on the shock body are an aluminum collar that is glued in place.The glue bond broke and the entire collar spun with the adjustment ring doing nothing.Took it apart,cleaned it really well and put it back with green Loctite.Good as new.PC210037_zps08a55ab0.jpg

Ziplock bags help keep fasteners and small bits organized.

post-18077-0-24901200-1419715023_thumb.jpg

The Spaniards that put this together must be "rubiks cube" masters.It was really tricky getting the motor out of the frame.Gonna have to be super careful putting it back into the fresh powdercoat finish.

post-18077-0-57113600-1419715167_thumb.jpg

The triple clamps and footpegs would be off if some idjit hadn't used a bit too much Loctite on em.Duh.Later...beer me!

post-18077-0-15404500-1419715282_thumb.jpg

Howdy ric h, yeah it looks like it has "picked up" at some stage, I doubt its the mixture, I have a 2012 Ossa and have run it at 140:1

all its life, we just pulled it down and put a 300 kit on it and the bore was perfect, still looked like new.

I guess yours has either got hot or servere lack of oil at some stage, or new rings with in-correct end gap, are you the original owner ?

A barrel and piston kit isn't cheap, mine was well over $1000-00 AUD, if you need a good used one PM me as I have the 2012 head ,

barrel,and piston,spare new base gasket sitting in my bike spares cupboard.

To give you an idea my bike has done about 45hrs according to the computer.

How bad is the bore ric?

The piston material should come off with some acid.Doesn't look as bad as the pic.Most of the dark stuff just wipes off.I'll have to measure it and see if it's out of round.I know where I can get an almost new barrel tho.It was running so good!!??

P1020064_zps16d3d897.jpg

I will run 100/1 from now on I think.Spark plugs are cheap.Yes,it's the intake side.I'm going to have a real good look in the crackcase (as best as I can) for any dbris.It does look like foreign matter.I'm very fussy about cleanliness during filter cleaning.I thought the exhaust side was more prone too.

This is the exhaust side.

P1020067_zpsb88cfe00.jpg