How Long Until The Wtc Implodes?

gizza5

Hi,

Sadly the REAL cause of the problem lies far closer to the average rider in the average club trial than anyone will admit - you see the only reason that all the 'old guard' are still in control is that most people don't bother to get involved in any way with the organisation of the sport at local centre level, so all the old cronies who are willing to go to boring monthly meetings, elect themselves to the various national committees, where the same old cronies willing to attend national meetings vote themselves into international positions - or are happy to vote somebody willing to do the 'work' just so that they won't have to.............and the result is quite literally demonstrated in the posts above.

And I am not just quoting a theory - I have sat on club committees, then attended centre meetings, been elected to national forums and then represented the sport on international forums - so don't just moan about the old guard unless you are prepared to put some probably very boring time in yourself and then become part of the 'new' guard.

The worst element I now see emerging is the modern attitude: "Well I don't mind paying more for my rides, so you find some observers and pay them.........."

But at the end of the day, whatever you do - enjoy yourself - it's meant to be for relaxation.

Most people have to work to keep the family going.....its ok for OAP's with nothing better to do to sit all night at centre meetings etc talking nonsense...no 6am rise for them.

My opinion Gizza5, is that we will have a WTC in 2020, though I hope that by then it will have undergone some change. If it has not, then as you I fear the worst.

What would I like to see & why? A series that is financially more viable for a larger population and events that are more achievable for a larger population. Trials has always ben a participation sport more than a spectator activity and so I would like to see greater numbers of riders competing and greater variety in WTC events.

Three things would help to achieve this.

1. A stronger world economy that would allow more riders to choose to contest the WTC. I wonder how many riders are prevented from riding due to economics and how many due to the severity of the event with respect to their skill?

2. A championship that runs over 9-10 months, not 4-5 months in the summer. This would allow trials with a range of terrain & conditions. The FIM would need to subside this, since I am sure every national body or promoter would want the July or August round.

3. Sections that are designed to be ridden according to the rules in force and that enable many riders to at least achieve a three in many sections. So many WTC sections are designed such that they are clean or five & so many current riders have learnt a no-stop riding style that also leads to a predominance of cleans or fives. The variety of terrain and conditions in point 2 would allow sections where grip need to be sought, as well as sections consisting of big grippy steps.

If the sport does not evolve, or perhaps regress, in this manner, then I can see the WTC becoming an elite series for only a handful of the most capable & best funded riders, rather like the current indoor X Trial series.

The moot point is which is harder to achieve: prosperity in the world economy or positive change in the FIM?

Most people have to work to keep the family going.....its ok for OAP's with nothing better to do to sit all night at centre meetings etc talking nonsense...no 6am rise for them.

Wrong thing to say in so many ways!

Very stereotypical to assume that all clubs are run by OAP's and is far from the truth in reality?

You find time to ride your bike outside your work and family life, so you must have some planning in place to take time off?

I run a Charity in my spare time after 18 years in a job I have changed jobs which now allows me more of my spare time for my Charity, sometimes my friend it is about giving someting back so maybe find a bit of time go and help an OAP for a day or an evening?

• Like 4

sometimes my friend it is about giving someting back so maybe find a bit of time go and help an OAP for a day or an evening?

Exactly. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. Even simple things like taking Nigel Dabster to the shops or wiping his bottom after he's been to the toilet - stuff he can no longer manage himself - can make a world of difference :rotfl:

On a more serious note, the FIM problem isn't about lack of people coming through to pick up the reins, it's about egos (but that's not solely an FIM issue either)

• Like 3

Well that's a convenient excuse for not helping organise trials if I ever heard one. We can all think of a reason for letting someone else do all the work if we try hard enough.

Thank goodness we have the OAP's who are prepared to spend their time helping to run our sport but believe me, there are plenty of younger people who do a hell of a lot too.

People with young families and 6am starts are involved!!!!

• Like 2

Jeremy Clarksons brother on steroids?

• Like 1

This is an interesting subject.I have to be honest here , i will help put flags out and collect them and i'll observe for nothing , but to organise an event and be on a commitee , oh no thank's .

So thank you to any level of organizers .

Trials as we know it has a few major problems.

Lack of sponsorship being the main one. Which worldwide company would use trials to promote their company and pay enough money to finance the series? I cant think of any.

So basically its down to the bike manufacturers who are hardly in any position to be paying loads of riders to swan around the world.

World trials are too hard. Look at the results and its laid out to suit the top 5. I have seen where Britain's best are struggling. But lay it out easier and it looks boring for the spectator.

So we end up with extra routes to suit the lesser riders.

Trials has never really been a major spectator sport like football or motor racing and never will be. Its about taking part. SO how can the good up and coming rider finance traveling the world

apart from the bank of mum and dad? If its private sponsors they want something for their money even if its just seeing some good results. Which rarely are possible with the present severity.

So the FIM have tried no-stop which is not working. Go back to hopping rules? Still wont get any more riders as its the cost and severity that's the problem.

It may actually be better if the European championship was promoted properly and let the world championship die.

• Like 3

More natural terrain and a greater variety in sections would help. Amazing as it is to get up massive steps there isn't that much variety. It might level the playing field a bit if the riders had to use a broader range of techniques over different types of terrain. Outdoor world rounds just look a whole lot like the indoor world championship.

• Like 1

WTC is no really my thing however any trial that sets out sections to suit a few elite riders is asking for trouble.

This happens from club level upwards when CoCs set out every section with an A/expert route which is unrealistic for all but a few.

Why not just have half the sections expert level and the rest rideable for those game enough to have a bash albeit they'll be taking 5s or crashing out on the others.

Our Scottish Championship is a bad example,only a handful attempt it because normally most the sections are beyond all but a few talented riders.

I have said this all along......make 5 sections that are spectacular for the crowd and that challenge the first 5......make the rest of the lap that most decent national riders can paddle through.....that will boost the entries no end if 10 or so national riders rode each round and they would, its a full lap of 5's that puts them off.

Will it change the attendance figures.....no because people will still come to watch Bou etc

• Like 3

I guess we are spoiled here in Europe mainland.

We have 4 different routes at each section: novice - senior/junior - national - expert.

And still some complain because it's not tailored to their abilities.

Some events even have additional classes that combine for instance 4 novice routes with the 4 easy routes of the senior/junior route.