New Gasgas 80 With Clutch Drag, Help!

emilyjudy

I will check the fingers Lineaway, thanks.

I'm not against using atf to be honest Steve I have used it in the past in mx engines but because the bike is new and as I had no experience with GasGas at all I never wanted to find out the hard way that I had the wrong oil in it. And like you say at one point GasGas were recommending the use of atf, then you go on the internet and that opens a whole world of different opinions on oil hence I chose Putoline as I had some and GGUK recommended it.

As soon as the bike is up and running again I'll try it once more with the Putoline thats in it and if there is no improvement when upto full temperature then I'll try the atf.

Thanks for your comments on nippers riding, he did ok but section 4 done his head in every time! See you in a couple of weeks.

Since the bike is down and have plenty of time. Read up on the finger height and clutch pack measurement. Also many swear by the Beta clutch fix. There also several videos out on this subject. Before anything the finger height has to be with in specs.

The important bit about the Beta clutch fix is breaking the sharp edges on the tangs that do the driving on the friction plates (and the equivalent bits of the plain plates). A gentle "lead" allows the movement of the plates that is necessary to free the clutch. It is a mod I would do to any bike I own (even a brand new one!)

Roger

• Like 1

Agree with the clutch mod it made a big difference to my 280. So does stripping the pack down,cleaning and rebuilding . Not sugesting you do the latter and i know little to do with the 80. Will GasGas not give you any help?

I have spoken to gasgas and they say with the bike only having an hour or so on it, it's not uncommon to have a bit of drag. They have said get another hour on it and then gat it in a higher gear and load the clutch up a bit and it should get better with time. So I'll keep at it for a while yet before I pull the clutch out of it.

You can fix that in five minutes. Warm the bike up plenty good. (15 minutes) Pull up against a tree in fourth gear. Give it hell for 5 seconds or so. Ride around a little and repeat. Like I said before the finger height is out of specs. Your new rider will take forever to break them in.

I have spoken to gasgas and they say with the bike only having an hour or so on it, it's not uncommon to have a bit of drag. They have said get another hour on it and then gat it in a higher gear and load the clutch up a bit and it should get better with time. So I'll keep at it for a while yet before I pull the clutch out of it.

Probably good advice .But what about the lock nut coming off? That wasn't to good . I read early on in your post about your frustration ,trust me even my brand new Montesa has a rubbish clutch . My self , i think it's plain wrong how the people who make and sell the bikes just dont seem to give two hoot's with thier products and the like's of us just have to put up with it financialy and the frustration it causes. Several people have said about letting the bike warm up. That's absolutely sound advice .

You probably know this already,but my experience with GasGas is they don't grease anything either from new.So whip the spindles out and grease them at the first chance you get.Save yourself some grief later.

Best of luck with the bike.

Ted.

Edited by shyted

Thanks Ted, someone else has told me they do a similar thing with their 125. But against the wheel of his van, I thought he was joking! I also think it is terrible to think that a manufacturer who claim to be the top trials bike manufacturer can turn out something that isn't right out of the box.

Cheers, Stuart.