Tennis Elbow

mrwobbly

Happy new year everyone.

Only been trials riding for 2 years,I'm 60yrs young and really enjoying trials.

The problem is Tennis Elbow is stopping me riding at the moment.

Anyone got any tried and tested cures?.

Have been icing and taking ibuprofen with limited success.

This old fart needs to get back on his bike asap!.

Many Thanks

Stop playing tennis.....It's bad for your trials riding. :hyper:

Really though; try kneading (dig in your thumb) the tendon on the outerside of your elbow, gently but often...and try and use 'more legs' when you're riding, if you know what I mean?

Sorry, Happy New Year to you too :guinness:

Edited by ham2
  • Like 1

I used to get tennis elbow when I first started and was riding a Beta. I changed to a Sherco and co-incidently the pain stopped. I'm not blaming the Beta as it did not cross my mind to try different bars/lever positions, but it may be worth trying on your bike. A few years later the condition returned after my job got more physical, the company I worked for arranged physiotherapy which achieved a marginal improvement. Eventualy I was given a cortazone (check spelling) injection which was a success and have had no pain for 8 years.

a stronger tablet like diclofenc [check spelling] may be better but take a painkiller as well better off speaking to your doctor as he will prescribe the best combo of medications to help as cortisone injections tend only to be given as a last resort and you are limited up to a max of three to the effected joint then its surgery.

guy I work with who loves the gym will testify to that.

I suffered for years with tennis elbow. I rode enduros and MX so it was a real problem, sometimes I had it in both arms. I eventually tried ARNICA cream and small arnica pills too. Within a couple of weeks of applying it twice a day it had virtually cleared up. Now when ever it flares up I hit the arnica and away it goes. It's the active ingredient in the main US magic cure for tennis elbow. In the UK it is mainly used for bruises.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=arnica+cream&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=sNGmVMWABsfD7gb6s4DYDg&ved=0CBIQsxg

Most chemists have it and it's cheap.

• Like 1

I suffer from it too.

I knead the area with my middle finger knuckle. Drive that knuckle right in the meat of the hurt a few times a day. I can barely stand it but the next day I am better. Yes, it hurts like hell.

I try to remember 80-20, 80 percent of body on pegs, only 20% on bars. Just a mental thing, not accurate.

Take Aleve or Ibuprofen, I take 4 tabs in the am and then 3-4 later before a ride.

Get a couple of elbow sleeves. The best are made for powerlifters, google around you'll find em. Apply Ben Gay or similar and then put the sleeves on.

These are cover ups, not solutions. I can't seem to lick this thing either, but these things have helped to a degree.

I have it in both elbows right now, left one is from trials, right one is from the gym. Going on 5 months now on the left one.

@slickgolf I will try acupuncture I'd pay a good fee to rid myself of this pain.

One thing I've learned is that anti inflammatory drugs can help with the pain but they impede the healing process.

I've gotten cortisone shots in my shoulders and they did help but it's a last option in my opinion, it's not good for the body.

I suffered for years with tennis elbow. I rode enduros and MX so it was a real problem, sometimes I had it in both arms. I eventually tried ARNICA cream and small arnica pills too. Within a couple of weeks of applying it twice a day it had virtually cleared up. Now when ever it flares up I hit the arnica and away it goes. It's the active ingredient in the main US magic cure for tennis elbow. In the UK it is mainly used for bruises.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=arnica+cream&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=sNGmVMWABsfD7gb6s4DYDg&ved=0CBIQsxg

Most chemists have it and it's cheap.

Thanks. I needed something new to try. Six years and slowly getting better.

The principle of straps is feasible because the circumferential support they provide unloads the tendon at the point of attachment (where it has microscopic tears).

Rest is not a long term solution. Try a wrist roller slowly and gently with a very light weight. Learn how to stretch the affected fibres, there is lot's of info on the web on various techniques.

Anti inflammatory agents and acupuncture are more feel good factors and lot's of remedies tried have probably coincided with the condition having plateaued naturally leaving the sufferer to believe it has worked!

Thanks everyone for the replies :icon_salut:.

Thinking about it I do seem to have a lot of pressure on the bars,resulting in arm pump.

A typical beginners mistake I suppose.

One of the guys did tell me to try and steer the bike with my feet.

But my feet kept slipping off the handlebars. :hyper: .

I suffered for years with tennis elbow. I rode enduros and MX so it was a real problem, sometimes I had it in both arms. I eventually tried ARNICA cream and small arnica pills too. Within a couple of weeks of applying it twice a day it had virtually cleared up. Now when ever it flares up I hit the arnica and away it goes. It's the active ingredient in the main US magic cure for tennis elbow. In the UK it is mainly used for bruises

I just picked some up I hope it works, I'll try anything at this point.

Thanks for the idea Fast

Edited by fivebrick

I'm not kidding my elbows already feel better after one application of Arnica Gel that I bought. Just slapped on a second coat (per directions 3 a day). I'm well aware of the placebo effect, but I don't care, I feel less pain, thanks FASTbelly. I am impressed! I would have never tried this without reading it here. Thanks again.