Powerdynamo Electronic Ignition

mmmexico

There are not a lot of choices for electronic ignitions for the older four speed Bultacos. In my case I first contacted Electrex World. They would not respond to my e-mail inquiry, so I posed the question to you guys on an earlier post. The answer came back that Powerdynamo was the only real choice. I contacted them and after a few back and forth communications I sent them a boat load of money. Actually about 290 Euros which included their puller for their rotor...BTW you will need one, so get it with your initial order.

post-19176-0-90050900-1420237028_thumb.jpg

It was easy to install as long as you have the correct tools, i.e. a puller for the Bultaco flywheel, a tool to lock the flywheel in place while you remove the fixing nut, and a dial gauge. A new coil is included and it arrives mounted on a plate which is drilled to attach directly to the tab on the Bultaco frame previously occupied by the ancient Femsa unit.

I understand that there are a lot of old school guys on this forum that are perfectly happy with their points based system. Far be it from me to prosthelytize in favor of you guys throwing away perfectly good pieces. However, I have to say that not having to stick a bunch of little tiny screwdrivers and a feeler gauge through that little tiny hole in the flywheel is truly a blessing. In addition, it gives me great peace of mind to know that a nice big spark is arriving at just the right time. I was never sure with my fifty year old system

Above is a picture of the flywheel/rotor/magneto ready to be removed...again...in order to get the timing just right. Below is picture of the stator provided in the Powerdynamo kit. It makes me feel good to know that this is what lies beneath the rotor rather than the ancient and greasy points which used to live in this location.

At any rate, I have much better pictures and a full description of the procedure on my blog: http://meditarivemachinery.blogspot.com/

Take a look, and if you have any questions, I will try to answer them on this forum

Cheers

Mike

http://meditarivemachinery.blogspot.com/

post-19176-0-18346100-1420236568_thumb.jpg

Powerdynamo sells Czech made Vape ignitions which this is looking at the stator plate, I considered buying 1 for my CZ race bike but didn't in the end due to the lack of advance. Nicely made gear though