Newbie Advice?

jj46

Hi all, i'm looking to get in to trials and am looking for peoples thoughts on what makes a good starter bike. I'm trying to decide if its better to but something older and cheap or alternatively something around 2011 - 2013 ( i have my eye on a barely used 2013 Sherco 290). Personally i seem to be drawn to Shercos or Betas and am open to suggestions on models and engine sizes.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer..

• Like 1

Hi, my first bike was also a Sherco 290, what an animal, I couldn't control it. After more than two years trying to tame the beast, I gave in and bought a Gasgas 250, best thing I ever did. I love it. Completely different feel.

Try to get a ride on as many different bikes as possible and be your own judge.

You could also pop along to a local trial and get a feel for how other new starters are getting along with their machines.

Good luck

the best starter bike in my opinion is a montesa 315 very easy to ride very reliable and best of all you wont loose any money on it as long as you look after it. but try as many bikes as you can i find gassers very aggressive which doesn't suit me but loads love them

Actually a complete newbie just needs any cheap bike. Be it a twin shock or a water pumper. People either fall head over heals for trials or hate it. Those that love it will upgrade to a newer bike right away. The haters think it is a silly sport because they found out it is hard. (And they look a fool). It`s a great fun sport as long as you stay with in your real abilities. Beginners or Experts, most just grin riding all day long.

• Like 3

I started many years ago at 13 years old on an ex SSDT Montesa 248 with a oversize fuel tank. I loved it from day one and never realised what I was riding was probably way too powerful for me, to heavy and way to big, and I'm still doing it now 35 years on. As lineaway said, you'll either love it or hate it for whatever reasons, its a fabulous social sport, full of laughs and challenges at every stage of your riding ability.

Edited by the addict
  • Like 1

Thanks all for the replies. I has originally considered a 315 Mont but due to their age had ruled them out as i dont want to but a nail thats been hammered to death and will end up costing a fortune to get up together. If i were to find a good late one eg 03 or 04 what would a fair price be? Having searched newbie threads its the bike that seems to be recommeded for beginners and hence i guess they hold there value when compared to other brands of the same age.

Thanks all for the replies. I has originally considered a 315 Mont but due to their age had ruled them out as i dont want to but a nail thats been hammered to death and will end up costing a fortune to get up together. If i were to find a good late one eg 03 or 04 what would a fair price be? Having searched newbie threads its the bike that seems to be recommeded for beginners and hence i guess they hold there value when compared to other brands of the same age.