Kt250 Carb... Is It A Mikuni Vm26?

orangepeeled

Hi all,

Just curious if anyone knew what the carb on the KT250s was. I believe from the bit of Googling that I've done, its a VM26. Is that correct?

I keep debating on whether I want to buy a new one or not. B&J sell one that's prejetted and includes a new throttle, but its a little bit expensive at $190. Having said that, I would be able to gain from their expertise and would be getting more than just a carb and throttle. At the same time, mine should run well once I get it cleaned, but I'd like to have a backup just in case. This thing is 40 years old... haha!

I'm also thinking I'm going to need to order at least a new bowl gasket for my existing carb, which was my original intention for finding the model.

Anyway, thanks!

Brandon

I'm lead to believe the KT carb is unique to the KT & different to all other 26mm Mikunis, but I don't know in what way(s). They don't seem to wear out (all the KTs I know are still using the original carb & running crisply, including mine), so you may not need to replace it but if you do want to you might like to try Mid-Atalantic Trials. They seem to be having good succes with OKO D-slide carbs, tho they don't have one listed for the KT.

Edited by jc2

Thanks, jc2. I know BJ Racing sells a replacement Mikuni, but I'd like to try to keep my current carb running if I can, not to mention its fairly expensive (but does come with a new throttle and pre-jetted).

Have you ever used a rebuild kit on yours? Or at least replaced the bowl gasket?

Brandon

Ok, thanks! Do you remember where you purchased those from?

BTW, got it running today. Woohoo! Still have a few things to do and I'd like to COMPLETELY clean the carb (with a parts cleaner), but I'm excited to have it running again at this point. :)

Brandon