Odd Jetting Found

tahoebrian5

I pulled my carb apart today. This is on my new to me 09 280 Eco with the PHBL26. The pilot was a 33, and the main was a 270. Needle was a D36 clip on second groove from bottom, slide is a 60. I was expecting the main to be in the 115 range. The 270 seems way out of spec. Is this correct? I have a hard time imagining someone putting in a jet that far off. The bike was definitely running rich. I never really opened the throttle much and have just been putting around though.

Anyway, I'm at 4500' elevation. what do you guys think? Throw in a 115?

Do what he said, run the needle somewhere in the middle, try second groove down first.

Run the fuel trim screw as lean as possible for smooth running, but a caution as they do become sensitive to 1/8 turn or so and change with altitude and temps on the day.

The transition(to needle) circuit of this carb at 1/8 throttle or so is a weak point so do not expect perfection.

Smaller for the main, bigger for pilot. Actually has to do with atmospheric pressure. Take a trip to Colorado or New Mexico and ask what people run. Or if you ever make it to a National Look up Dale M. the Gas Gas Importer and he will give the same info.

Wouldn't it be a bigger jet for lower elevation? Never heard of going smaller at sea level

Smaller for the main, bigger for pilot. Actually has to do with atmospheric pressure. Take a trip to Colorado or New Mexico and ask what people run. Or if you ever make it to a National Look up Dale M. the Gas Gas Importer and he will give the same info.

You can take this advice to the bank! He knows what he speaks. :hl: