Re Packing Exhaust

davet

• 2 weeks later...

This is on my to do list. I might have to tackle the middle box surgery as well. I'm leaking spooge out of a craked weld at the hanger at the top of the middle box. Also it seems to burn for a bit even after I shut off the engine. I imagine it's in fairly bad shape after 5 years of use.

I repack mine once a year. It usually burns away. I also perform the annual surgery on the center box. I crash enough to make it necessary. the 14 center box is much more robust.

Your tip: With the system gutted prewrap the inner pipe with packing and install it as an assembly. Wrapping it externally with mechanics wire also helps. I should really be getting mine done this week. Thanks for the reminder :)

--Biff

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm,

The repacking has a few tricks to it. Just completed another one a couple of days ago.

(1) very tightly wrap the packing and put three wraps of masking tape on it - holding it tight.

(2) insert the wrapped in the muffler first - it will be easier to align with the pipe way down the muffler without the plastic muffler tip on.

(3) Once properly inserted into the muff, and sitting properly on the pipe, then put on the plastic end piece. A flashlight will help you align it.

(4) Gently move the tail pice up and down to align it with the pipe - do not force.

Then have a couple of beer.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...