New Battery For 20.0

sveson

I have just bought an Oset 20.0 Eco for my son. I think it is quite strange that Oset doesnt offer any Lithium batteries so now I am looking for a new battery. LiPo seems popular here on the forum but I had a LiFePo4 36v 20Ah on the previous 16.0 that I was very pleased with. Looking at the very skillfull boys in videos like this:

makes me wonder; what batteries are those guys using?

I spoke to the guys at Oset at the show and he said all their riders use lipo batteries, period. He did say they do have a kit for them but it is not 100% ready for market yet! however if you contact them they have a guy that works for them that has made a kit that you can buy directly from him and not Oset. So might be worth putting a call into them for the number of the guy that makes the kits.

• 2 weeks later...

I am now looking for LiPo as well. But I want a long runtime out of it. The Boost Bikes pack:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hi-Power-Oset-20R-48v-Lithium-Battery-Pack-Fully-Protected-1-4-Weight-4x-Runtime-/131398178957?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item1e97f1188d

promises 4 times the runtime but is still only 10Ah. How is that possible? Does 10Ah from a LiPo pack last longer than 10Ah SLA or 10Ah LiFePo4?

The price on these are tempting:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZOP-POWER-22-2V-15000mAh-30C-6S1P-Lipo-Battery-for-DJI-S800-S900-S1000-S1000-/221639493035?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item339abe45ab

Do you think two of them would make a good pack?

• 2 months later...

Any Progress on the Lipo-batteries?

I also want to update my 20" for my kids(and myself;-) so i´m curious what you decide to go with.

Is really 2*22,2 Volts enough? I don´t know when the cutoff-governor kicks in, does anybody here know?

everything you need to know about the use of lipos is in this thread http://www.trialscen...ion-directions/

HK also now do a lifepo4 chemistry rc battery ( a little less of a fire risk but you still have to treat with respect ) they are a little more expensive but I think worth the extra as they tend to be a little more forgiving chemistry...

I think the lvc is around 38v but not totally sure... which is border line for a 12s lipo ... maybe worth testing the lvc of your controller.

2x22.2v lipos is 50.2v hot off the charger..

Edited by gwhy

• 2 weeks later...

Boost don't seem to have any available on ebay anymore?

I e-mailed trials UK for a quote on their packs but no reply there so i'm kinda in limbo what to do right now.

If they are 13s and fully protected by a custommade BMS I agree it's expensive but perhaps worth the extra

If you are having your kids going off in to the woods alone riding and dont really trust them(or yourself) to safely

Monitor the SOC then its perhaps better to be safe than sorry when they run flat.

Also, a 13 S can provide 8 1/3 % more power than a 12S pack.

(Or will provide a bit more capacity at the same power demand as a 12 s as it holds a bit more energy).

The SLA's Ive had has typically been at 54,5 Volts hot off the charger so all volts are welcome:-)

BUT... Buying a new set of SLA feels not as an option.

Unfortunately, with SLA perhaps 50 % or so of the capacity is to be considered unuseful ballast as the power drop off

Is so brutal.

-The only real upside to them is the recoveryeffect they have if you let them rest for a few minutes which allows you to limp home

From the forest if you go easy on the throttle and set the response dial way down low(oset 20/48v).

I have now installed my new lipo batteries and I am very pleased with it. I took contact with many different companys through ebay and aliexpress.com and then chose a company that seemed serious, with good prices and with quick answers to my many questions. The company was www.onbopower.com, Skype: lyyshelly, Email: sales03@onbo-power.com .

From them I bought 2x 6s 22000mAh lipo batteries, lipo bags, cables and Xt90 connectors. The only failure I had was that I just got the female part of the connector, so if you order from them make sure to get both male and female part. Also keep in mind the cost for customs.

The bike is now 8kg lighter and has at least 3 times original runtime. I bought a charger that can charge both batteries at the same time. I chose two 6s batteries in series because it is much easier to get 6s in the right shape and mAh. The range of 12s batteries are limited and is there any 13s at all?

• Like 1

I ordered a set from Boost bikes about 4 weeks ago and they arrived today. Apparently they supply a few Oset dealers now and are finding that demand for the packs is growing quickly. Keith the guy who runs Boost was really helpful and kept me up to date with the progress of my order. Hopefully my daughter will try the bike out tomorrow and i'll post up our thoughts on them.

I ordered a set from Boost bikes about 4 weeks ago and they arrived today. Apparently they supply a few Oset dealers now and are finding that demand for the packs is growing quickly. Keith the guy who runs Boost was really helpful and kept me up to date with the progress of my order. Hopefully my daughter will try the bike out tomorrow and i'll post up our thoughts on them.

I can not imagine for 1 minute that "oset dealers" will sell to the public ( without a massive disclaimer ) if the battery's contain lipo cells...  

Its one thing understanding the dangers that surround lipo's as a user and knowing how to identify that something is wrong with a battery ... but to be sold as a plug n play  (and care free) battery ... is not a good way to go.

I am a big fan of lipo but I also know the potential problems that can happen .. maybe boost can make there packs up using a safer chemistry to justify the high cost of there packs.

I can not imagine for 1 minute that "oset dealers" will sell to the public ( without a massive disclaimer ) if the battery's contain lipo cells...  

Its one thing understanding the dangers that surround lipo's as a user and knowing how to identify that something is wrong with a battery ... but to be sold as a plug n play  (and care free) battery ... is not a good way to go.

I am a big fan of lipo but I also know the potential problems that can happen .. maybe boost can make there packs up using a safer chemistry to justify the high cost of there packs.

It seems that a few dealers are selling them, as i'm sure you know Trials UK sell their supercharged bikes that come with Lipos as standard, When i contacted Oset regarding availability of Lipos i was steered towards Trials UK who sell there "boost"  kits for £550..

I am very supprised that some dealers are supplying them ( if indeed they are lipo),  these batteries may give years of trouble free service ( and I would certainly hope they would for the price!!).

A built in bms has many advanages and do help reduce the risk of a major thermal event but on the flip side a bms can also be the cause of a thermal event and depending on the type of chemistry that the bms is attached will determine how big of a thermal event and the amount of damage it will cause. All batteries have potential to cause fire but some chemistries are more flammable than others. As with any chemistry I would always charge in a fire safe area (a kitchen worktop is not a fire safe area :-)) and never charge unattended , I know of to many battery fires that could have been avoided and the people are always surprised and never thought it would happen to them .

What I am trying to say is please dont get complacent about the dangers of all high density batteries (not just lipo) .. know what you are dealing with.

Edited by gwhy