Yamaha Ty175 Wes All In One Silencer & Mid Box

doogle

I ordered one of these along with and SM front pipe for my TY175 and they arrived yesterday. The holes don't line up quite correctly with the studs out of the head on the front pipe and will require a bit of modification which is annoying but as the bike is 25 years old to be expected. What I was surprised about is that the WES silencer/mid box does not have a hole in the main mounting bracket. Has anyone else fitted one of these? Are you meant to drill it yourself or have I been sent a duff one?

Cheers

Dave

Hi they don't drill the hole in the centre box for the same reason your front pipe needs a little work ..all bikes are a

little different due to age and damage to frame over rocks and majesty, Whitehawk bikes all so use the same exhaust with a different frame .Just fit it on and drill a hole in the correct place for your frame.

• Like 2

Hi they don't drill the hole in the centre box for the same reason your front pipe needs a little work ..all bikes are a

little different due to age and damage to frame over rocks and majesty, Whitehawk bikes all so use the same exhaust with a different frame .Just fit it on and drill a hole in the correct place for your frame.

what he said

Thanks for confirming. Front pipe is on, the silencer is going to take a bit more modification. Kick start is going to foul and it sits a long way out from the bracket on the frame. Should be good when it's on.

Doogle...Don't worry. Yes you have to drill your own mounting hole and you are going to have to work out some spacers or washers between the hole that you drill in the mid-section and the frame.

When I mounted mine I had to bash some clearance between the mid-section piece and the frame...and then, just as you have suggested I had to bash additional clearance on the front side to accommodate the kickstarter. I used a ball peen hammer and went slowly. It looks fine. Just take your time and go little by little.

Take a look at my TY 175 9 (on my blog: http://meditarivemachinery.blogspot.com) tosee the modifications. The aluminum on these units appears to be thick and so the finished project has gradual indentations.

Good Luck

Mike

http://meditarivemachinery.blogspot.com/

post-19176-0-60662300-1421351305_thumb.jpg

This is the "modification" that I made to my WES mid-box. As delivered it simply would not fit my TY 175. Above is the modification that I made on the kickstart side. If this modification had not been made, the kickstart lever would be bouncing against the mid-box and making a nuisance of itself.

There really is not much to the technique although you have to be patient and be prepared to mount and dismount the mid-box a lot of times. Just mount it up and use a felt tip marker to identify the point of contact. Then dismount the mid-box and start bashing in the mid-box with a ball

peen hammer until you think you have given yourself enough clearance. Take your time. Don't be in a hurry and don't try to do the bashing while the mid-box is still mounted on the bike. You will probably deform the mounting tab.

Below is a picture of the back side of the mid-box which was similarly modified to fit closer to the frame. This modification was necessary because if I hadn't closed the mid-box up to the frame I would not have been able to mount the silencer so that it snaked behind the shock mount. For this modification I used a slightly different technique. I marked the areas where the frame tubes were contacting the mid-box and then laid a very stout pipe on the same line and then I bashed the pipe to make a reasonably straight indentation. Without this modification the mid-box would have been vibrating against the frame.

By the way, none of this is a criticism of the WES system. These modifications just show what a strong system has been created by these guys. The WES system on my TLR fits perfectly. Maybe the TY frames changed over time...Who knows. Happy Bashing!

post-19176-0-48371600-1421352075_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...