2007 Sherco 290 Cabastany - Problems/opinions

mattadv93

Hi

Looking at a Cabestany 2007 Sherco 290t on the weekend and am wondering if there is any common problems with this model bike i should look out for? Also what are the main differances between the cabestany and the std model?

Thanks

Matt

I had one of those and to be fair I had no issues with it mechanically but I did sell it a few months after buying it from new. Carburation was always a niggling problem, constantly ran weak or rich depending on what the weather was doing, more of an annoyance than a problem though. My main issue with the bike was its power, power delivery and general feeling that it wanted to do everything it wanted to do rather what I wanted it to. A great bike in the right hands no doubt for those who can genuinely get on top of that power and how it puts it on the floor, and I expect for those who have come from a cyclo trials background it would be a good choice as it is very small and light.

If you're a novice rider Matt I'd stay away, I have been riding trials for many years and couldn't tame the beast.

Edited by the addict

I had a Beta Techno 250 first, I rode it twice and it broke down twice. So really my Sherco 290 is my first trials bike and I love it. It has a slow action throttle and that's all. Not scary, not too powerful and great fun. I won my class doing the "d" route in my first year!!

Carl

Thanks for the replies.

Yes this would be my first trials bike. Im 6'3 and 125kg, being my weight i will probably have to put heavier springs in. Are heavier springs hard to get for this bike?

A Caby of that year would have the Kiehin carby which is higher performance, possibly high comp cyl head, cannot recall?

You may be able to get a heavy rear spring from Splatshop, front should be ok as is.

You can use the slow throttle and set the ignition timing back a bit to settle things if needed.

Inspect/ grease rear suspention linkage for sure.

• Like 1

I had a Beta Techno 250 first, I rode it twice and it broke down twice. So really my Sherco 290 is my first trials bike and I love it. It has a slow action throttle and that's all. Not scary, not too powerful and great fun. I won my class doing the "d" route in my first year!!

Carl

You bought a pile of ***** used bike missing parts and you still bitch about a poor purchase. The Beta techno was a trouble free bike. This guy is asking about a Cabo rep. Which is a great bike in the right hands. Just a little more bike than most people need. You will love it!
  • Like 1