4Rt Quality ?

hannu

So everyone raves about the quality of the 4rt and probably rightly so however !

I have a 2014 model from new, have to say I love the bike, would love it even more if it were not for the niggels.

when I first got the bike home I tried to remove the seat/mud guard to find the right side rear screw had been cross threaded into the hanger. After six months and many calls I eventually received a new screw and hanger and even though the bikes don't have warranty it was FOC.

Two weeks ago I noticed the steering becoming a bit notchy. stripped down the head to find the top bearing knackered and this was no doubt down to the bearing seal not being fitted correctly (from new) and being split due to being tightened whilst not seated. I rang the dealer and didn't really expect it for free but was promised new seals would be with me last Thursday !!!!

You guessed it still haven't got them.

Oh and the side stand design is awful.

This is not a gripe about the bike its fine, its just maybe let down by the people who build them (or at leased mine) and the dealers which are all to few !!!

• Like 1

I've had one for 3 months now and no problems at all even though its probably done nearly 150 hours and regularly gets a tough time via my riding. Probably the first thing I always do with a new trials bike is take the stand off, second, pack all the bearings properly and make sure everything is done up as it should be. I'm pretty confident the 4rt is still the highest quality bike out there even with a couple of minor problems that possibly should have been picked up at pdi stage.

Edited by the addict

Quality of mine was no better than other manufacturers. Same goes for other road, off road Honda's iv'e owned, all of which's fasteners were made of cheese and would bend/twist or round their heads when using correct metric tools, better off using a tight fitting imperial if possible. I no longer believe the hype and think they are over-rated.

Side stand scrap,Dunlop front tyre , hedge hunter , clutch no better than any other trials bike manufacturer,sump shield just about quallifies as one , £5700, base model 2014 , new , it should be better. Nice though . The hard copy manual is unparalelled in the trials world.

Can't help this view though , just think it's about time they got thier finger out and got the basic's correct before introducing more technology, that alot don't understand let alone know how to use.

Edited by shyted

My friend has an 06 Repsol and he absolutely loves it. I rode it and now I do, too. In fact, I like it so much I'm trying to find one of any year. It seems the replies above are suggesting the new ones are not as good as the older ones. Have I interpreted this correctly? Thanks.

• Like 1

Not from me ,and i think if you read through most ads,some older posts on certain subjects , you will see one or two things with the 4rts that are a thorn in thier side the clutch , side stand , power vs grip .Fortunatly with the 2014 model i can say it finds grip very well . Never been on a 4rt before i bought this so would not and cannot give any comparisson other than i have.

What i say is that the quallity is unchallengable ,but for the price new i expected the clutch not to do what it does nor for it to come with tyres that grip like they're on ice (mainly the front) and to have the neck to Put better tyres on the repsol as an upgrade,difference in price for the tyre wholesale would be what? Get my drift .

Im not saying the 4rt is a crap bike.No far from that,because it's not ,but for a bike with that reputation i wasn't expecting to put a Mitani or any other kind of clutch plates in .Niggles on a bike with excellent potential.

Edited by shyted

Sump guard and mudguard bolts aren't the best, but mine have lasted 2 years so not really an issue. Clutch action is different, as is finding grip, but given time you'll get used to it. How everything else fits together is unrivalled, tolerances are perfect and they are generally a pleasure to own........ although I've just snapped a bracket off my silencer....

• Like 2

Sump guard and mudguard bolts aren't the best, but mine have lasted 2 years so not really an issue. Clutch action is different, as is finding grip, but given time you'll get used to it. How everything else fits together is unrivalled, tolerances are perfect and they are generally a pleasure to own........ although I've just snapped a bracket off my silencer....

Ah so you do ride it ?

Edited by betabonkers
  • Like 1

Nothing wrong with the clutch. It's just personal preference.

Well you know , this has nothing to do with preference with me. When the bike gets hot the clutch doesn't dissengage and the gear selection (naturaly) goes rock hard to shift.When it's cold it doesnt dissengage as with nearly all trials bikes.

When it's warm its ok but as soon as you start to give it some rev's or put the engine under some load at low revs like on a slippery long clime, sure enough two minutes later it just wont dissengage and you arn't going to find neutral .

What's bizzar is that the TXT i had before this bike , the clutch was no bother at all.

What it has got to do with is that we pay for new bikes with brill suspension and fuel injection ,ECU controled ignition and injection ,water cooling,but they can't get the clutch right .Why ?And if that's not something to do with quallity then what is.

Edited by shyted

What kind of oil do you use?

I used GRO Gear Extreme in my 2008 4RT and 2012 GasGas, and the only real difference between both clutches was that the GasGas clutch engaged a bit smoother and with the 4RT it was a little bit harder to find neutral when the clutch oil was older and needed to be replaced.

shyted,

The clutch on my 4rt is great. Fair enough, it engages a bit when cold but by time the fan is on the clutch is fantastic. The Beta is the same when cold and by the time both warmed up they feel about the same. When hot they both are difficult to get in neutral with ya foot but reasonably easy with ya hand to find neutral.

I think you may have an issue as well??? I run the Elf in the Monty.

Maybe do the Beta clutch plate mod (blueprinting) to the Monty and see if it improves? Don't change two things at once... like blueprint plates and change oil type at same time.

Mags