4Rt Quality ?

hannu

A few thoughts on Braketec performance issues.

There could be variations in manufacturing quality, perhaps a batch where the tooling was at the end of its life or unexpectedly damaged.

Certainly a few years ago some Braketec parts were full of machining swarf and had sharp edges on ports.

Even if the callipers and hydraulics are spot on and identical their performance can vary from bike to bike. Factors like mounting angle, fork flex, brake disc type and mounting all play a part.

I have 2 DOT 4 fluids with identical spec. One is Castrol motorcycle racing brake fluid and the other is Halfords own brand. The Halfords fluid is slightly less viscous (i think to give fast response in ABS). The difference in the feel at the brake lever is very noticeable depending on which fluid I put in.

A few thoughts on Braketec performance issues.

There could be variations in manufacturing quality, perhaps a batch where the tooling was at the end of its life or unexpectedly damaged.

Certainly a few years ago some Braketec parts were full of machining swarf and had sharp edges on ports.

Even if the callipers and hydraulics are spot on and identical their performance can vary from bike to bike. Factors like mounting angle, fork flex, brake disc type and mounting all play a part.

I have 2 DOT 4 fluids with identical spec. One is Castrol motorcycle racing brake fluid and the other is Halfords own brand. The Halfords fluid is slightly less viscous (i think to give fast response in ABS). The difference in the feel at the brake lever is very noticeable depending on which fluid I put in.

I think you might mean Formula parts full of machining swarf.

I wonder from reading all this if people think we don't look after our bikes ? Get some thing clear here .

Montesa Honda is definitely not a better quality product ! 24 hrs use on mine and when i came home from work ,went to workshop and tried to start the bike. Whack ,kick start ratchet gone !

They're now in my eye's no different than any other trials bike out there and certainly not worth the premium we paid over a far more competitive standard bike such as the GasGas or Beta

So lets head the giving advice on starting a Montesa off now . Please don't try and insult my intelligence !

The bike defiantly has got an air of quality around it. Maybe it's just the better quality plastics and stickers eh !

Can somebody introduce dadof2 to this thread. It appears there are mechanical issues here which have not been addressed by producing a heavier bike ?

• Like 4

Just to keep you all in the loop I did contact Honda about two weeks ago re my experience with the seals and bearing.

I was impressed by their swift response (24hrs) expressing their regret that I had problems with the bike and that faulty parts would have been covered via a warranty but because it had not been brought to their attention (via dealer) there was nothing they could do. They did ask if there was anything else they could help with, and that they would be happy to assist with the next step forward.

I did point out that due to the cost of the seals and bearing it wasn't worth taking the bike on a 100+ mile round trip to the nearest dealer but that I would appreciate assistance regarding the brake and clutch.

Week later I'm still waiting a reply. :mellow:

121 & counting

I've voided warranty on 4 motorcycles (all made in Japan) in the last 2 years alone... not counting the trials bikes. I still own the 4 voided and they get used regularly.

Modern bikes in the main are super reliable and I work on them exclusively myself except for boring and/or honing. I would never trust a dealer to work on a motorcycle.

There is one exception... I'm super worried about my wife's KTM blowing an engine so I got the first service stamp to cover any engine issues. It runs to 10,500 rpm and has 49 hp with Akra pipe from 373cc. Trouble is... its made in India not Austria! Its being flicked as soon as she gets her unrestricted licence and then its over to Ducati. Stator failed on first ride home from dealer.

Just as an example.... one qualified technician here was just sacked for belting a rear axle with a hammer and peening the thread.... he is now employed at a bigger motorcycle dealership with bikes in the $30,000 - $40,000 category. Same hammer in his toolbox! Does he do warranty work?

Old saying.... if something on a motorcycle (or anything mechanical for that matter) is giving you a problem removing and refitting you are usually doing something wrong! And I'm talking about "Hammer Harry" here!

Mags

Edited by mags

Ok so, just wondering why Montesa recommend in the service manual to replace the brake fluid every six months but only recommend checking the clutch fluid ?

A . Because it was siesta time when they got up to that point in writing the manual.

Then "Mahayana" syndrome kicked in.

Drum role ,tish !

Edited by shyted
  • Like 1