Talmag 2015

gautrek

We finally got confirmation that myself and my 3 fellow Taverners members are in this years do. So if you are going down expect to see a Panther being thrown around and at the scenery by me. As long as I can stop it spitting split links out of the rear chain that is. I have moved the gearbox over a bit and bent anything I can see that might be rubbing on it out of the way.

Fingers crossed I will find out this weekend that its sorted.

Gautrek, re your chain spit link, try this. Paint the "fish plate" white to make it more visible. Support the handlebars with tie downs from an overhead point. Place the bike on robust blocks beneath the sump guard to lift rear wheel clear of ground. Run bike in 1st, blip throttle to induce oscillations in chain tension while observing split link and carefully observe any potential rubs, particularly adjacent to any frame fixtures, tensioner etc. A thin piece of shim steel inserted behind the fish plate and then peened over both legs will prevent the fish plate legs opening up & becoming dislodged, if it does rub against anything. Good luck campaigning a Panther. You have my genuine admiration as well as the essential large spheroids required.

Gautrek, re your chain spit link, try this. Paint the "fish plate" white to make it more visible. Support the handlebars with tie downs from an overhead point. Place the bike on robust blocks beneath the sump guard to lift rear wheel clear of ground. Run bike in 1st, blip throttle to induce oscillations in chain tension while observing split link and carefully observe any potential rubs, particularly adjacent to any frame fixtures, tensioner etc. A thin piece of shim steel inserted behind the fish plate and then peened over both legs will prevent the fish plate legs opening up & becoming dislodged, if it does rub against anything. Good luck campaigning a Panther. You have my genuine admiration as well as the essential large spheroids required.

I will see how it goes this weekend. If its the same I will try the sheet steel idea or I may just rivet it over for the Talmag.

The spring clip on my AJS is fitted on the inside face,thats how it was when I bought it,so I decided to keep it that way as it clearly works.

See you at the Talmag if I've got an entry - not heard anything yet...

We had to phone up as one of our guys got his unsealed envelope back with nothing in it and the others have heard nothing. There is nothing on the interweb that we can find either

I see they have admitted they cocked up last year with the sections being a bit hard and then the rain on top. I did feel a bit sorry for them with the weather last year. But its very difficult to get the right balance if the weather changes.

• 2 weeks later...

charlie i see the s/car entry was down this year , i have heard from some of the regulars that it seems to get tighter for the proper british outfits each year , great for trick c15s and b40s and special expensive bikes but no way you can compete against them on a std old british bike having tried a few times in recent times on my 600 panther outfit i got so fed up with getting to the top of climbs then sitting rocking on the sump with both wheels in the air i decided that was it for the talmag,i i am thinking of offering my assistance to the organisers next year ,i would love to be a scrutineer , that would be very interesting ,as i have read the regs and if followed correctly , i leave that to your own thoughts . i my self have now built a greeves outfit which i would love to ride in the trial but its a two stroke . will

Hi Charlie,

There's a hideaway not far from Hungry Hill where the Talmag members congregate on the Saturday - an invite to that social gathering can very easily develop into an annual ritual..........but bear in mind it is all part of the Aldershot garrison so is not short of watering holes.

Deryk