Sherco 250 2011, Unused

arw

Hello all, just bought a 2011 sherco 250, its only ridden a few trials otherwise its be stored in a garage and started from time to time. apparently its only done 3 trials! and its like new!

anyway, was there a mod to stop it flooding during transport, I was warned it can flood because you cannot turn the fuel off, and it was a bugger to start when I got home.

and what the hell is map 1 and map 2 on the handle bars?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

this bike does not have a fuel tap!

ive looked and looked and looked!

It floods sometimes when not running, could the float be sticking in the carb, not had time to clean it yet.

any other solutions?

its a white frame, plastics say 2011?

it is terrible. sometimes if you leave it ten minutes and try and kick it off itl hardy turn over and you have to take the spark plug out and the cylinder is full to the brim with petrol! i think the pump is leaking internally to fill up the bike like that. its a general bad starter, you have to open the throttle right up to kick it off when its warm, then it needs cleaning out and runs like a tractor. it doesnt have a tap and i havnt got round to putting one in yet. this weeks job. lastest problem is the front brake sticking, looked a fool today at the trial falling off constantly. give me back my old bomproof 04 290

The fuel tap did not get added till 2012/13, Sounds like the floats need sorting in the carb. A fuel tap will not stop it flooding as fuel should not flow past the pump unless it's running, If it's leaking from the carb it's only whats in the float bowl.

the 2011 had ignition problems that made them a pain to start and they used to back fire here and there, The triggers in the stator used to go bad, If your good with a soldering iron its a £2 fix or £80 if you send it off.

Sort the floats and check the float needle is shutting off, Stick a new plug in and gap it to 0.6mm. Then see how it is.

Well if a 250 it should be a standard dellorto carb. If it does flood while just sitting there I would suspect a float setting or float needle valve problem, nothing to do with a pump if it is not pumping! The carb works the same as with gravity flow, no difference.

Cope is right. These usually don't need a fuel tap to keep them from over flowing. Delorto's needle and float should keep it from flooding if not in use as long as it is adjusted properly. I would set float height and clean the needle.

I only turn my fuel off about 3 mins before I realize it which puts me just about in the middle of a section. Its happened too consistently to not be true. :) The only reason why i shut mine off is if i lay it down before going to walk a section.

--Biff

Edited by biffsgasgas

I have a 2011 290 Sherco and had the flooding problem when transporting the bike. You need a fuel shut off installed. The vibration when transporting causes the floats to open and shut. With no shut off and apparently the design of the fuel pump, it will overfill the float bowl till it runs into the motor. That was the only time I had flooding problems. I had to drain the motor when I got to an event to get it started and when I got it home after an event, the same thing. The shut off cured it.

The fuel tap did not get added till 2012/13, Sounds like the floats need sorting in the carb. A fuel tap will not stop it flooding as fuel should not flow past the pump unless it's running, If it's leaking from the carb it's only whats in the float bowl.

the 2011 had ignition problems that made them a pain to start and they used to back fire here and there, The triggers in the stator used to go bad, If your good with a soldering iron its a £2 fix or £80 if you send it off.

Sort the floats and check the float needle is shutting off, Stick a new plug in and gap it to 0.6mm. Then see how it

Steve

Two thoughts. How do you test the triggers to see if they're bad(and what do they look like).

On my bike the pump apparently did push fuel through with the vibration of traveling. Any thoughts as to why it might? I figured the bumping caused the diaphram to pulse and push fuel. A shut off cured it but maybe there was something wrong with the pump. I'm curious now.