Mystery 348 Motoplat..

berkshireduncan

So.. I ordered a 'Montesa' rotor puller from Sammy Miller, which is (by my measurement) 30mm.

However, my 348 has had a number of upgrades over its life, including a Motoplat Mini 6 Electronic ignition.. which I'll be posting off to Bradford Ignitions as soon as I can get the rotor off..

The crank end makes measurement in-situ with calipers tricky, but I make the internal thread size about 26mm, so I guess my question is:

Did / do any Motoplat Electronic rotors come with puller thread sizes close to (either side) of 26mm? In other words, am I safe buying a generic 26 x 1.5mm puller- or could my mystery rotor possibly be 25mm- or 27mm, etc..?

Duncan

Hi Kingscorpion- thanks for the tip. There's no reason to believe the rotor & stator came from another Montesa- presumably just some other 70's/80's European bike.

Steve at Bradford Ignitions ('Motoplat UK') said the same thing- that the Mini 6 was maybe a little light for a trial bike- I guess because it was originally fitted to an Enduro / MX.. however mine has a heavy brass 'wedding ring' band sweated onto the outside of the rotor to add some weight.

You said 26mm.. 1.5 pitch and Right Hand thread..?

I have a beta zero with a mini6 ignition. i have 2 flywheels for it, one is a lot lighter than the other. The heavier of the 2 is quite a lump, so I would say plenty heavy enough for a trials bike, if you want, I can weigh it... just so that you know if one would be heavy enough if you wanted to source one. I can confirm that the thread is 26mm / 1.5 pitch normal thread direction. Sorry for not replying before, but I've had trouble logging in

• Like 1

Thanks, BogHopper

The P.O. kindly got in touch and confirmed the spec. It has a Mini 6 set up- from a Villers 210 classic kart (the UK's longest running kart class, apparently)

Luckily, my online researches had led me to a 26mm x 1.50mm R/H puller, which I've already ordered and is on the way.

The P.O. had a whacking great brass weighting ring turned up and sweated onto the rotor; and IMHO the bike has bags of bottom end grunt.

Thanks all

• Like 1

Losing the will to live here..

My mystery 348 Motoplat electronic rotor doesn't take a 'Montesa standard' 30mm puller- and the 26mm x 1.5mm R/H puller I just ordered is fractionally too small. Aaarrgh!!!

I don't want to use a 2/3 leg puller, for fear of messing up the sweated-on weight band, so before I try for third time lucky and order up a 27mm x 1.25mm R/H puller from BVM, has anyone got any further suggestions or input?

The P.O. tells me my Mini 6 is 'the same as fitted to a Villiers 210 kart engine'.. although I haven't managed to find any rotor / puller specs for same online.

Q) Has anyone ever come across a Motoplat rotor with a L/H thread- (or is the BVM unit likely to be correct)

Thanks again in advance..

i had to get a 26x1.5 for a 307 with electronic ignition there is a set of around 12 pullers on ebay for not much more than what one costs

I have set like this... This guy knows what he's talking about. It's worth a try, they have many combinations of sizes / thread direction.