2012 280I Starting Issue After Drop With High Rev

jlmoreno

While riding, I washed out the front end turning up on a rock face. The bike slipped down and momentarily over revved the motor (as it has done numerous times). I pulled the clutch, picked up the bike and the bike died. I returned down slope and pop started the bike. Returning up hill I noticed the bike had a loss of power and would not idol with clutch fully engaged? Returning straight away to the garage, I noticed the bike was running a bit hot. After a cool down, I topped off the coolant with 100ml/ 3.3oz. (not sure how much it takes to fill from empty). The bike kicks through the same whether in gear or neutral and sounds/ feels like it wants to start. Any advice to diagnosis the problem(s) would be greatly appreciated. Yes, I have the easy start (4 AA's).

Is this a job for the shop (3hrs each way of travel) or should I purchase the shop took kit (flywheel puller)? The interweb only comes up with the part oversea's? Is there an on-line source for ossa parts or just lewisport?

Also, what are the chances the TPS setting shifted somehow? Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Similar thing happened to me, the piston had partially siezed and smeared alloy across the rings, jamming them into the grooves, causing just enough loss of compression to make starting a problem. Snap-on and Mac tools make an endoscope tool, see if a local garage will have a look down the plug hole for damage to confirm. Then convert it to 300!.

Not familiar with the term "lands". Are you suggesting pulling the top end cover, pull the piston, freeing the rings, cleaning the barrell and piston grooves and off we go??? I believe the shop will want to replace the entire top end $$$$.

Lands are the piece between the rings, personally if the piston has seized I'd replace the rings at a minimum.

To check if there has been a seizure remove the header pipe from the cylinder & look up the exhaust port, crank the motor over slowly & check the whole piston for scoring & smearing of aluminium over the rings

• Like 1