I've Been At It Again, This Time A Custom Suzuki Rl 250

jay_lael

In my part of the world, there are no Whitlock frames or Beamish Suzukis to be had. My dentist who happens to be the best dentist I have ever seen, has commisioned me to build a custom Suzuki special.

Here's what I've come up with so far. I will be finishing up the front skid plate bracket arrangement, doing footpeg mounts in the proper location and side panels, before stripping it down to finish all the welding, and paint it polish it etc.

I plan to paint the frame silver, and do a two tone paint job on the tank, in the original pattern. Considering a nice burgundy metallic on silver for the tank, with polished alloy side panels. I will be soda blasting the entire engine, to bring back a nice silver matte finish. In return I will be getting top notch dental care for years to come.

post-18972-0-93511500-1423760792_thumb.jpg

post-18972-0-27314700-1423760825_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I too have a brilliant private dentist,(I really needed his skills..) I met him when he had a problem with his Range Rover - which I sorted out. He then made my mouth more comfortable and teeth better looking than they had been for 20 odd years. For a few years we had a good thing going,in terms of dental care/Range Rover care... He now drives a BMW,but I still go to him, I think he has had a lot more money off me than I had off him.But its worth it,nothing worse than toothache !

Good luck with the build,looking good so far.

I like the exhaust. Now, did you set the steering head angle to the original or the one they all ended up with after the self-shortening wheelbase facility came in to play, as that gusset ain't gonna bend :D

The steering angle has been corrected from somewhere around 29 degrees, to 25 or 26 depending on the tube depth in the clamps. Around these parts I have never seen anyone bend one of these things steeper, but I personally did that to a poor overworked Fantic 240, which handled absolutely terribly after ramming the bike into a log whilst hauling ass through a place called Jordan meadow, in the VMC Terra Nova 200 mile enduro in Canada.

The aformentioned dentist is very unlikely to ride this way, as he is a timid intermediate who wishes to ride a very cool bike, and has the means to get one made for him. The swingarm pivot has been moved toward the engine as far as I could get it, thus the need to extend the swingarm, in order to get back to somewhere around a 52 inch wheelbase.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

The Suzuki special lives! This Saturday, Marty will attempt to win the Highlander award, at the Terrebonne, Crooked River Ranch, AHRMA trial. This contest averages riders on their trials results, and golf scores. Good luck Marty!

post-18972-0-38380200-1430500691_thumb.jpg

post-18972-0-36664700-1430500703_thumb.jpg

post-18972-0-27614900-1430500763_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks guys, for the kind words. Yes, Marty loves the new bike! He had nothing but praise for the bike. He ended up second in his class at the trial, and the golf scores figured in, he was fourth overall in the combined golf/trials match. Maybe some day the Highlander award, which is a three foot sword, resembling excalibur, with two golf clubs and some handlebars, artfully welded together, will reside in his office, but not this year.

• Like 4