Ideal Honda Tlr 200 Trials Gearing.

chappo

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy with 10/48 as well. Also popular is 9/44 because 44 is the standard rear sprocket and 9T fronts were readily available back in the day; 9/44, or rather 44/9 = 4.8888:1 which is just a little lower than 48/10 = 4.80.

10T on the front gives the chain an easier time and the chain doesn't ride as low over the swinging arm at the pivot as with a 9T front sprocket; purist argue a rear sprocket larger than 44T upsets the rear suspension ... search for an earlier post on this....

Going to a rear sprocket bigger than 48 isn't recommended as the "sharks fin" won't cover it.

All alternatives are a compromise because the primary drive ratio is not optimised for trial purposes.

As a beginner I needed 9 front / 46 rear = 5,1 because with 10 / 44 the Reflex was a little bit unmerciful in slow motion corners.

I still like the very short 1st gear for non clutch driving.

Now with an anti judder kit in the clutch the Reflex can do a good modern style slow job at 2nd/ 3rd gear too.

Edited by rollox

Thanks Rollox,

Just put her back together, only rode on the driveway.

It came with a nine front and a 44 rear, like you said 1 St gear seems really nice for tight stuff.

Where did you get the anti judder kit, does it work?

Hi chappo,

The kit works excellent. A few years ago I got it from Gordon Farley:
Maybe the kit will be in stock again. Just give them a call.
Or you ask your Honda dealer:
1 friction disc 22201- KY1-000
1 spring seat 22125- KT7-750
1 judder spring 22402- KW7-900
It was a workaround for Honda CG125W to reduce clutch noise und judder. Internal Honda Memo: AS 042/01 Pg1/2 from 24/8/01.
Remove and discard the outer friction disc und install the new friction disk together with judder spring and seat so the white paint mark on judder spring faces towards the outside.
Bernhard
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

I have used 10 and 50 for over 25 years. Tried many different combinations but always went back to this. Also use the bike in enduroes with this gearing believe it or not.

Presumably you run higher pressures than for Trials when riding Enduro, hence increasing the rolling diameter of the rear tyre & raising the gearing/speed ?? 

• 4 months later...

• 3 weeks later...

Would anyone know what they with when new

Mine came with 13-44.  North American 1986 TLR200 Reflex.  Of course it came with lights and signals, so was very much oriented to the street.

Edited by trialtrial