Starting My Novice Life, Again!

mags

G'day Dabbists,

As some know I've been unable to ride too hard because of medical issues the last 2 months or so. Have a tentative approval from Doctor to ease back into some trials (and off-road on WR) but easy is the word until more assessment from cardiologist.

I cant say how much I've missed my practice days at Gap Creek as did my wife. I offered to run up there with her bike only but she refused unless I could ride as well... for better for worse huh?

We have been riding on the roadbikes but we missed sheer joy of the Aussie scub and creek bed on trials bike.

We had a fantastic day last Sunday! Tested out the new trailer for the first time, 3 bikes aboard! Beautiful blue sky day and just right temp.

My daughter had her first go on her mum's Beta 4T. We walked along beside her holding the bike until she was able to ride unassisted. Had a grin like a cheshire cat!!! She might just be hooked but has little time with her current studies, maybe in time.

Sore arms, sore neck, sore thighs... pleasurable pain!

Here's to a few more as we get back into it...

I have a vid (from last Sunday) of a bit of front wheel up and land (if it loads) and yes.... I'm rusty!

Mags

http://youtu.be/vBP26pYUEcc

Edited by mags
  • Like 3

Good for you and your family Mags! And I hope your daughter takes it up when she has time, we need more women in the sport.

Hope you don't find this rude, but you look like you've lost some weight since you've posted pics of you on the bike before, are you ok?

Set up some novice/ sportsman type sections if you can, maybe try to source some flags from somewhere. That is what has improved my riding the most, that and doing things I'm not very good at. And just step off the bike if you get into trouble, no point going down with the ship!

i underwent cardio surgery last year [valve surgery] so can offer some advice etc in this matter or there are other members who have undergone various types of heart surgery bypass etc.who can put your mind at ease also advice on drugs like blood thining drugs warfarin etc and what to avoid in regards to the type trailing you do an example would be rocks jumping on off stuff i would be very carefull as heavy contact between your body rocks etc could lead to internal bleeding. as you have not been more specific in regards i can only guess and assume its linked to your heart in some form. anyways happy riding and dont let it hold you back. when i spoke to my cardiologist after surgery he was very supportive and said do what your body capable of but be carefull.and take your time.

Hey Heather,

I dont find it rude at all and yes I have dropped a bit of weight! Lifestyle change... diet was good but made it even better and more aerobic exercise had seen me drop from my heaviest at 95 kg to now 79-80 kg in 4.5 months. No mid-week tipples now either.

Having to buy some new clothes... hehehehehehehehe!

My 20 yr old loves her TT125 enduro (still a beginner on bikes) and now wants to ride trials but her time is limited as she is in final year Engineering at University of Queensland. Same Uni her mum attended 32 yrs ago! When she has more time ( she is working for Engineering company as undergraduate as well) she wants ON the motorbikes! She is determined like yourself!

More practice now for us and get back into a few trial comps... easy does it!

Mags

Good for you and your family Mags! And I hope your daughter takes it up when she has time, we need more women in the sport.

Hope you don't find this rude, but you look like you've lost some weight since you've posted pics of you on the bike before, are you ok?

Set up some novice/ sportsman type sections if you can, maybe try to source some flags from somewhere. That is what has improved my riding the most, that and doing things I'm not very good at. And just step off the bike if you get into trouble, no point going down with the ship!

• Like 2

Julio,

Its like saying whats better for you a green apple or a red apple?

Here's my humble opinion as a Novice at Trials. I think the Beta is a slightly easier bike to ride as a beginner and steers quicker, not better, just quicker. You get used to the Montesa very quick though and they even up.

The build quality in the Montesa is better than the Beta as I've said before. As one example the Beta threads fasteners directly into the frame material the Montesa uses Nutcerts and brackets with captive nuts. It saves weight directly into frame but if you damage a thread in frame its drill and tap larger or insert a nutcert anyway.

The price difference here in Australia was only $200.

Once you get into the higher grades they may separate more but you'll need opinions from riders in those classes. I dont think you can go wrong with either as we have both and they are both giving great service.

Mags

Hello Mags!

It happens that you have the two bikes that I am currently wondering whih one should I buy.

So what's best 2014 (EVO 4t or COTA 4RT) ?

Thanks

Julio

Edited by mags

I have the best outcome for the event that has occurred... a blood clot in my Left Anterior Descending heart artery. This gave me 5 heart attacks over about 10 days with the first happening whilst riding my road bike with my wife as pillion and was quite severe.... subsequent ones were further between and falling intensity as the clot resorbed.

After an angiogram... I'm on mild blood thinning and on an ace inhibitor and beta blocker and a statin for internal vessel lining friction reduction. With my efforts to date with lifestyle change... resting heart rate 51, cholesterol at 3.1 and BP 105/70 the cardio is looking to cease beta and ace and just leave the blood thin and statin for vessels. Yay.... off heart meds!!!

I won't do a trials comp until we gather some data from ceasing the heart meds. This will be sometime after March visit with Cardiologist. He is very happy with me dropping 35 lbs and getting much fitter and should see me live another 20 yrs if I continue my current lifestyle. I did have a stress test and it showed good flow and minimal heart muscle damage. 3 arteries are 100% clear and one at 40% blocked will reduce markedly so no stents or bypass needed... far from it with those stats.

I'm just very happy I can still ride trials with my lovely wife! Even if we only do a few comps a year... our main fun is practice days at Gap Creek!

Thank you for your advice I will be heeding it thats for sure!

Mags

i underwent cardio surgery last year [valve surgery] so can offer some advice etc in this matter or there are other members who have undergone various types of heart surgery bypass etc.who can put your mind at ease also advice on drugs like blood thining drugs warfarin etc and what to avoid in regards to the type trailing you do an example would be rocks jumping on off stuff i would be very carefull as heavy contact between your body rocks etc could lead to internal bleeding. as you have not been more specific in regards i can only guess and assume its linked to your heart in some form. anyways happy riding and dont let it hold you back. when i spoke to my cardiologist after surgery he was very supportive and said do what your body capable of but be carefull.and take your time.

• Like 2