Fit A Battery?

chrisa

Hi

Where did the spacer come from? You make it yourself? Looks like a pro job.

Out with a friend on Saturday and it was a pain to start on a number of occasions. It's strange. If you restart after a brief stop or stall it's fine. If it stands for a few minutes I have to boot it to stand a chance. Real pain. First kick from cold still.

Pictures spacer are from www.montesa4rt.nl

Hi

Should have delivery of four of the spacers next week. They aren't expensive so I'm guessing a few may like one. 15 each I think, TBC. First three of you (UK) to ping me that you would like one of the extra ones can have them for cost. I figured a few may do and I can easily get more via the Austrian connection if needed.

The consensus of two seems to be that you can lower the idle RPM with this mod. Hopefully in my case the bike will start better too.

Regards

Chris.

Edited by chrisa

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on one of two solutions to the headlight-on starting issue

My 2015 Repsol starts first kick hot or cold 99% of the time. With the headlight installed it needs 2 or 3 kicks which is very annoying. This is with the small 20W off-road headlight as supplied with the bike. So I decided to modify the wiring to make it work like the on-road version with the power relay to supply power to the light after the engine starts. And it works like magic. It starts first kick day or night. The light comes on about a second after the engine starts (the ECU controlling the relay).

I still think the stator spacer is a good move and Ill be doing that as well.

Anyway, heres how to do the headlight wiring without butchering anything

The original headlight connector is a Sumitomo HM-090 series. These are nice fully sealed. Where from? Well I dont want to fall foul of the admin here but if you google "cycle terminal" you will find the supplier I used and hes great genuine connectors, cheap prices, cheap and fast postage.

You need the 4 pin male half only (Male HM090-4). Get a couple of HM Connector Cavity Plugs (Plug 090) while youre there or remove one from the original connector to seal the unused port. You also need a 12V micro relay (MR20-C-5) (no mounting bracket) from the same guy. I managed to install the relay on the bike inside the vinyl boot along with the headlight connector (under the fuel tank). The street version mounts the relay behind the headlight which would make sense but then you will require 3 wires in the headlight loom rather than two.

Once you have the bits, wire it up as per the ED/2E version wiring diagram in the manual. You need 12V power from the red wire in the harness (Sumitomo connector) to go to two places on the relay (bat terminal #30 and coil terminal #86). Run the trigger wire from the yellow/green wire in the harness connector to the relay coil (terminal #85). Then for the headlight: run a red wire from the output of the relay (terminal #87) and an earth wire from the Sumitomo connector (green harness wire). The relay terminal pinout diagram is available from the cycle terminal web site but Ill post it here if I can get permission.

This is what my finished wiring looks like the original on the left (with a Tamiya 2 pin connector for the headlight because I remove it during the day) and the power relay setup on the right. It adds a couple of grams but works a treat.

post-16811-0-16132600-1426480516_thumb.jpg

Edit: Added this wiring diagram...

post-16811-0-43374900-1426485252_thumb.jpg

Edited by aussiechris
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi

Should have delivery of four of the spacers next week. They aren't expensive so I'm guessing a few may like one. 15 each I think, TBC. First three of you (UK) to ping me that you would like one of the extra ones can have them for cost. I figured a few may do and I can easily get more via the Austrian connection if needed.

The consensus of two seems to be that you can lower the idle RPM with this mod. Hopefully in my case the bike will start better too.

Regards

Chris.

So do the spacers work, you can lower the rpm with no apparent side effects.