Hour Meter ...?

axulsuv

Do any of you folks add them to your bikes ? I always forget when fluids were changed so I probably over change them ...

I'm thinking of getting couple of these for the old Fantics .

http://worksconnection.com/details.php?id=722

This is the co. I got the way cool flush / flanged allen head skid plate mount bolts I used on the aluminum plate I modified to fit the 240 , Quality stuff from what I've seen .

And just out of curiosity how many hours do you put on oils in your trials bikes ?

Glenn

Usually I change the gearbox oil once a month, check the brake and clutch fluids once a month too. Check the coolant once a week, and everything else after the bike has been cleaned. Probably too much, but at least I know everything is at the right level on it :)

Gear oil on a 2 stroke will last for ages if it doesn't get contaminated by water.

On a 4 stroke it's different as combustion from the engine mixes with the oil, Hence car service intervals.

It doesn't need changing often unless you crunch gears or are very hard on the clutch.

Every 10 rides would be too often.

I have hour meters mounted on both bikes (pic below of Montesa) Beta is mounted near top of rear shock.

Ours are 4 stroke so a little different to 2 stroke.

I change the motor oil every 10 hrs in the Montesa and the motor filter every 20 hrs. I'm using semi-synth so is very cheap to do the motor compared to full synth.

The gearbox oil in full synth I drop out every 20 hrs. The clutch characteristic doesnt seem to change from hour 1 to hour 20 so I'm happy with that interval.

The Beta not having a separate gearbox oil and filter I changed every 15 hrs. I use Panolin 10w-50 as recommended in the Manual.

Because acid build up is a byproduct of combustion and can etch metals I never let an oil go past 6 months if the hours are not done on the engine. I will do a filter as well with the 6 month service.

On new engines be it motorcycle or car I bed rings in and drop oil and filter or at around 150 kilometres. Next change is the first scheduled change by manufacturer... if over 1 ,000 kilometres I'll split that again.

Mags

post-20008-0-02533500-1424640556_thumb.jpg

Edited by mags

WHY?

I have 11 motorcycles, 8 with speedos and 3 with hour meters.... And a LOG BOOK to keep track of them.

Now is that the 4th ride on the WR? No hang on... that was the XT.... Oh **** it could have been the TT... No I'm sure it was the Cota... Ah thats right it was the 5th ride on the Wife's Beta for her???? Sweetheart how many rides have you done since last oil change on your Beta...

I dunno darling! Look at the HOUR METER!!!!

Mags

Edited by mags
  • Like 4

Steve,

Collected over many, many years! We should be putting some moola aside for doing up the house a bit... its small and 1971 built, pretty original. We keep spending the money on motorcycles... hahahahahaha! Might have to go to one of those addiction groups? Hi! Our name is Mr and Mrs Mags and we are addicts! Hehehehe

Whats your addiction Mr and Mrs Mags....Heroin, Meth, Alcohol, Cocaine, Ice??? Nah... Motorcycles, and riding them!

Mags

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got a couple of the 'bay for 6 dollars apiece ...

Hooked up and functioning but not finished mounting yet ...

And the section already had a spot where the long ago broken wire out of the OE. hour meter/ clock resided , although if and when my custom aluminum tank unit ever gets finished , I'll move it ...

post-1232-0-60907400-1426442839_thumb.jpg

post-1232-0-46858000-1426442937_thumb.jpg

And I even found RED ones !!! :)

Now for laundry , :beer: and the race ...

Glenn