2015 250I Power Compared To 280I

jlmoreno

The big bloak I am - 250lbs. The shop in the US only has a 250i left available for 2015. Coming off a 2012 280i; should I have a concern with the new bike being under powered? My current track/ trail bikes are a 2012 300xc and a 2015 350exc six days. Lewisport says the power loss is minimal and most riders over seas prefer the 250's? Any experience with both the 250i and 280i power performance/ comparison would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi there,

I know we have a few middle aged adult riders in our club that had 250cc Gasser's and Beta's but I noticed early last year they all bought 280's and 300's this time around.

I know here in Australia I have never even seen a 250 Ossa,all 280's and I have just put a 300 barrel,piston and head on my own Ossa.

It would also depend on your style of riding and what type of terrain you regularly ride, I would imagine if you rode a lot of tight and technical sections as opposed to

steep hillclimbs the 250cc bike would be fine, on the bigger stuff it may be a little lacking in power I would think.

Would be nice if you could get a test ride on a 250cc bike of any brand just to let you compare the power difference.

I prefer the tight technical terrain. The dealer offered $4,000us for my '12 280i which needs the top end replaced. The 300 conversion was an additional $1,300 for an actual trade in of $5,300 US. I am starting to think replacing the top end to a 300 for $1,300 is my best option vs. $4,000+ for the new 250i which makes me think the power is lacking?

Good few Ossas about here including 250s.

Has wee plays on them but prefer my 300 which is unusual for me because I'm not keen on big motors.

The 300 feels more like a small motor in the tight stuff and you only know it's a big one when you start to wind it on.

There's no hit,it just pulls smoothly all the way revving like a 125.

Really can't fault it.

Thank you for the insights. Declined the 250i and surprise a 2014 factory edition is being returned next week from another dealer which didn't sale. Done - 2014 factory edition. Back riding! $9.5kUS minus $3.5k for a highly used (+250hrs) 2012 280i with a worn clutch, and blown top end. $6.7k out the door!

• 2 weeks later...