My Earliest Swm Story.

biffsgasgas

Hello fellow SWM riders,

Long story here. In full disclosure this is an account of my distant memory and my fathers account as told to me recently. He has told me this in full frustration pent up for 30+ years. As this goes here is the story:

In Western NY USA as a child I found myself excited to follow my father to each and every trials event. In this story I was about 6 years old. I was instructed on how to follow a "Loop" and that i was only allowed to be on the loop or in the pits if I were to come to the event. Mom was very burnt out with motorcycles at this point so it was only he and I. This was the golden year of 1982...

Three weeks before this day I am focused on my Sister who was trying to live up to dads expectation had dropped his super cool new SWM in the woods about 15 minutes before the event started. My dad was quite frustrated with her as it was his debut for his shiny new TL 320. Previous to this he was riding a second had TY250 which had several neutrals between each gear. Some times a neutral would show up on that TY250 right as you are approaching a hill climb. The TL 320 never did this in the short time that it was in his hands but its first destroyed clutch lever was now present and it was not his fault but very close to the start of an event.

After all father had moved to Trials because it was a cheaper sport yet he has already bought a weird bike at decent cost and now has to fix it on it inaugural event. My sister was punished by not joining her father for the next few events. I was lucky removed from any wrong doing and allowed to continue with my fathers permission to attend these glorious events.

On the day in question I had decided to "race" the trials rider my father through each loop. Here in the states its common to have 5 loops and 8 sections. I was a fast runner and not that interested in watching Dad struggle his way through Novice sections. He was a great thinker (hope he does not read this) but not that great at negotiating some minor sections. Well on this day an infamous Western New York trials organizer decided to install an awesome mud section. Years later I have taken the mud section and repeated here in Michigan just because a down and out mud section is a great thing.

Well after the event this virtually unused slightly abused TL 320 was very very muddy. This "thing" was the coolest thing in our house hold in my 6 year old eyes. When we got home dad mentioned that we should never leave such a bike in such a condition. I agreed... How should this beautiful yellow and blue rotax machine be left dirty. Dad indicated that he needed to clean up his riding gear and the trailer. He also told me that i was responsible for getting the bike as clean as possible. Eager to show my sister up on her earlier folly a few weeks earlier I took charge.

I spent much time cleaning the forks, swing arm, cases, and skid plate. These are high mud catch areas as any 6 year old can see. Its obvious. As I spent much time in these areas i was able to inspect the end result. At this point I noticed an obvious additional point of concern. Yea it was that pesky two pipe exhaust..... As all of you know the SWM pipe has a very noticeable exhaust point. Two little 90 degree bends at the back of the most rearward point.

Well as I was eager to do the most thorough job cleaning the house prize and to move up the social ladder in the house of trials i went to town. My first idea was to stick the garden hose onto one of the two downward exhaust exit points. I quickly realized that this was not ideal as the second exit point was getting me wet. My 6 year old brain in quick response found a finger to resolve the issue. i plugged the extra port on the rear muffler with my finger. Wala I have solved the problem of me getting wet! I recall that there was a remarkable amount of time before water came from what I now know as the air box. Not deterred from my mission I stuck with the garden hose method of getting rid of all that is evil.

About that time I recall Dad checking on the progress.... Well it didn't take too long for him to realize what he had done. It was clear that he put his 6 year old in charge of something and that it was all his fault. He did take the opportunity to punish the 6 year old. I remember that part vividly. The suspect 6 year old went into the house covered in water, soap and tears retreated to his mother. She was not much help as I recall. She tried in her best way to say that I had some how attempted to destroy all that was holy for my father. I do recall the bike being upside down several times as my father was trying to start it. I still did not comprehend at the time but as I reflect today its obvious.

The only last memory I have of that day is of a really really clean SWM being ridden across the lawn at high throttle with what I recall as a lot of steam. I also remember the bike being upside down several times with Dad saying I am way too tired for this... As it turns out two weeks later he had to, as he states it "go into the engine" to do something he says "replace all that his son made bad".

Two years later my sister and I pooled our money and got a TL125. She rode one event and I rode it three years. I bought her out and she never rode trials again. Dad still rides today at 83 years old. I have bought many trials machines and own a few today. I consider my self relatively active in the sport as well. I miss his rotax SWM but will from that point on know the proper way to wash a bike.

Thanks for reading! Keep on the pegs. Keep your 6 year old from a garden hose and your trials bike.

--Biff son of one lucky John Knapp

• Like 5

Biff that was a great story. I hope I do not step on your toes, but it makes me want to tell mine! After a six year stint in the US Navy, I took up dirt bikes again. I was up getting my trophy at desert race and a trials rider that recognized me invited me to the next event. It was May of 1982 and my friend was on a new Jumbo. I showed up the next weekend and it was a completely new riding area to me. He wanted me to ride his new SWM, but we only had one bike. So I ran section to section all day long. Of course being a sailor stranded at sea for too long, I dragged along my best cans of Coors. In the end he won Expert and I won the next class down.(Which we have always called semi) The other riders were not amused with my casual win. But that day had me hooked again. I always loved my one day ride on a SWM.

Helped my mate wash his Kawasaki monkey bike the same way when I was about 7, his dad didn't like my mob at all, he was also a policeman, I can rember vividly my dad begging & pleading, please, please don't go playing with that boy again, there's plenty of other kids (& their dads work in the coal mines/steel works.)

• Like 1

Hi,

Not a trials story - but related!

In the 1950's our family transport was a motorbike and sidecar. Father drove the 1930s 'Ivory' Calthorpe with me on the pillion seat behind him, Mum in the sidecar with my younger brother in a small seat behind her.

Most weekends we were out and about as a family, visiting family and friends and on one well remembered occasion we visited old family friends just outside Lincoln, some eighty miles from home. During the afternoon Dad was worried, wanting to be on our way home early "because the bike is nearly out of petrol and all the filling stations will be closing early on a Sunday afternoon......."

As an eight year old I heard this and decided that I could really be Daddy's little helper, so without saying anything I went out in the garden - Dad's friends were keen gardeners - got the watering can, filled it from the outside tap and took it out to the Calthorpe and filled the tank. "There, now we will be able to get home,,,,,,,,,,,,,' I thought.

Eventually we were on our way, the bike started as usual but within a mile of the village spluttered to a halt.

The usual routine started, sparking plug out, kick the bike over - check the spark - no problems there. Tickle the carburettor float, liquid bubbled out - seems we still have petrol, must be a blocked jet, start dismantling the carburettor by the roadside to blow through the jets and Dad notices that the liquid bubbling out is not petrol - somehow water has got in??????

I proudly own up to being his guardian angel - and get soundly told off for my trouble, so now Dad has to drain the water out of the petrol tank - 'cos the little petrol we have left is floating on the top.

The performance is repeated lots of times until, by sheer good fortune the local RAC patrol man, on his way home after work - and still on his Norton and box sidecar, pulls up and offers help. Yes he had a small can of petrol in his sidecar, so off came the Calthorpe tank to be upended and thoroughly drained into the ditch then replaced and filled from the patrolman's can, followed by details of a long diversion we can make to another village where the people live in a house directly behind the garage and they will sell us more petrol.

It is way into the early hours of the morning before we eventually get home with one penitent son on the pillion seat, feeling very sorry for himself.............

Cheers

Deryk Wylde

• Like 2