Do I Need Stiffer Springs On My 4Rt

fatty

Hi All,

I have a 2006 4RT and love the bike and have great fun on it. I was at a trial this weekend and some one took a few photos of me on the bike and when just riding off a section it looks like I have flattened the bike.

I am 6ft 1" and weigh in at a hefty 105kgs, reading through some of the threads on here it would suggest the bike would be set up for around 75 - 85 kgs from the factory.

Now I am a beginner so having the best suspension I am sure will not actually make me ride any better but looking at the attached photo it may make the bike look better under my load. I have not noticed it bottoming out but then I only really ride the beginners route so no major obstacles so far.

I have not played with the suspension at all and I would guess in the 9 years of its life not a lot has been done to the suspension.

Should I have it overhauled or go for stiffer springs ? Who in the south would be a good person to get this work done and help set it up again ?

Thanks Fatty

post-18882-0-84310800-1425972044_thumb.jpg

post-18882-0-19058200-1425972114_thumb.jpg

Hi

I have a stiffer one on mine and it works a treat,

A standard one is set up for an 80 kg rider,

I got mine from Splat-shop as he seemed to be the cheapest - http://www.splatshop.co.uk/montesa-stiffer-spring.html

They say if you are over 80 kg put the stiffer spring on,

Also you are meant to have your shocked serviced regally and re gassed

I would have it serviced and the new spring put on

Im from up North so i cant say where to have it done im sorry.

Thanks

I'm 6ft 2ins and 115kg. Really do need to go on a diet...

Anyway, I put on a stuffer spring and it transformed the bike. So highly recommend you getting a stiffer spring.

About getting the shock serviced, I use Andy at Ohlins. He could probably sort you out a weight specific spring as well.

Hi

I have a stiffer one on mine and it works a treat,

A standard one is set up for an 80 kg rider,

I got mine from Splat-shop as he seemed to be the cheapest - http://www.splatshop.co.uk/montesa-stiffer-spring.html

They say if you are over 80 kg put the stiffer spring on,

Also you are meant to have your shocked serviced regally and re gassed

I would have it serviced and the new spring put on

Im from up North so i cant say where to have it done im sorry.

Thanks HOW much is a shocked service, and why you thanking him, ,just because youre from up north ,doesn't mean you cant talk correctly , ps good luck in the Scottish,on that old thing,

Just stick a stiffer spring on or play with the preload adjuster by winding the spring up slightly.

Unless the shock has lost all damping don't waste time and money getting a rebuild, It's expensive and probaly doesn't need it.

Im down south, If your stuck, I can help out.

Watch some videos of toni bou, It looks like his bike is almost bottomed out just with him standing on it!!

Just stick a stiffer spring on or play with the preload adjuster by winding the spring up slightly.

Unless the shock has lost all damping don't waste time and money getting a rebuild, It's expensive and probaly doesn't need it.

Im down south, If your stuck, I can help out.

Watch some videos of toni bou, It looks like his bike is almost bottomed out just with him standing on it!!

No need to exaggerate:

All,

Thanks for the replies and advice. As I am way over the suggested 80 kgs I wi go for the stiffer spring and have a play with the settings.

Won't make me ride any better I am sure !

Thanks Fatty

Another option for springs is http://dfaulknersprings.com/ He can make one off springs tailored for rider weight, which is handy for unusual sized shocks and forks. http://proracing.co.uk/ rebuilt the shock for my 315 (is it the same one on earlier 4rt's ?), but his area is mx and enduro, so probably couldn't help much with set up. Assuming it hasn't been serviced before, at eight or nine years old, your shock may well be due for some gas and oil. Both were reasonably priced.