Hopping Question (S)

What ever works for you in any given situation ... AKA when the skills are there , you won't even think about it , it will just be a reaction ...

No harm intended , I ride a old Fantic , and she'll do anything I ask her to do , and makes me look better than I am ..... Practice all our basic skills religiously , they will save your a$$ more than hopping about ... Finesse and know your next move ...

Rant over ! :)

Glenn

When a rider needs to front or rear wheel hop, is there any time that a bunny hop is a better option? Meaning you're hopping the whole bike toward a more advantageous spot vs just front or rear wheel moving?

A bunny hop is forward motion and unweighting. We would practice this jumping beer cans. You must mean a deer hop or flick turn with both wheels turned at the same time? My son does a two wheeled hop all the time. It is a great way to turn in a short area, it is risky and takes more energy. Some nasty sand sections this works amazingly well. He can do a 360 in a very short area, just very hard to stop after the last hop without a dab. (The risky part) A simple one wheel hop is more precise.

What ever works for you in any given situation ... AKA when the skills are there , you won't even think about it , it will just be a reaction ...

No harm intended , I ride a old Fantic , and she'll do anything I ask her to do , and makes me look better than I am ..... Practice all our basic skills religiously , they will save your a$$ more than hopping about ... Finesse and know your next move ...

Rant over ! :)

Glenn

Glenn we love it when you rant! Yes the basics rule and that's what needs the most practice. just finding that as I practice and make the turns tighter and tighter a well timed hop makes sense. Now if I could just hop well timed.

• Like 1

Yep, practicing them all. Those hops are tiring-wow.

Same here, they are even more tiring with the engine off, haven't quite figured out how to balance properly whilst hopping. Lifting the rear wheel isn't too hard, it's figuring out how to move the rear wheel sideways. Rear wheel hops don't feel that safe on wet ground though. Probably better off with a well executed full lock turn most of the time ;)

Same here, they are even more tiring with the engine off, haven't quite figured out how to balance properly whilst hopping. Lifting the rear wheel isn't too hard, it's figuring out how to move the rear wheel sideways. Rear wheel hops don't feel that safe on wet ground though. Probably better off with a well executed full lock turn most of the time ;)

Heather did you watch Ray Peters Youtube vid on rear hopping? Helpful.

• Like 1