Montesa Identify

trial_007

Hi all,

I have been off for a while due to commitments and illness,

Been playing on my 315 for the past couple of weekends to get my body and arms back into it!

Anyway my reason for posting, I have just swapped my old Honda Dax chinese copy for a old twin shock monty project, but how do I tell what model it is?

I have done all the usual searches but I'm still baffled.

It has a twin spark plug head, a amal carb, little metal air box

The tank/seat unit is fibreglass.

The front wheel is on the wrong way round!

Where is the frame numbers on these old models, it could be that the brush painted frame is just thick and I can't see it.

I will strip it down and blast the frame at work.

Thanks for your advice

(I will try and post a picture to help)

Cheers

Shaun

Looks like an Ulf Karlson 247 Cota, circa 75, but diff seat, headlight, shocks, stand & pillion pegs added. It may have been the "T" (trail) version. Eng # will be on top of the front engine mount. Frame # should be on stearing head somewhere. Be careful that the kickstarter isn't rotated too far forward (it looks like it is in 1 pic) as the stop will puncture the ign cover at the bottom of the stroke (if it hasn't already).

Looks complete. Good find. Great to see another one about to get some TLC

Thank you for the quick response, I will do some more searching

Yes the seat does look strange, and not one I have seen before, I'm going to change/modify it, as it's too long.

I will do some changes to it also, perhaps not 100% original, depends on how badly broken it is and parts supply!

The kickstart does go quite a way forward, I will look into that! Fingers crossed.

Thanks again, I will post further pictures as it progresses

Have a good weekend

Cheers

Shaun

Took a picture of the kick start for you, it has no markings on it, only a very tiny "made in Japan" on the end of the foot rubber.

It does go forwards quite a way, so I will have to investigate that further, perhaps it needs fixing, so I will take it to work and weld it there!

I had a look on southwest montesa, the only one that comes close and matches, is the ulf Karlson 247, so that's what I think it is!

The seat is definitely wrong, and ooh so ugly, so that is going to be changed

Found the numbers on the frame and engine, they are matching, (is that correct) they look to be original, no dodgy buisiness there!

The numbers are 21M***** Does that look correct?

Thanks once again

Cheers

Shaun

post-17832-0-73718800-1426447533_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...