2014 300 Racing Transmission Oil Question

andilicious

Not the usual which oil........

Its been noticed that I don't slip the clutch enough when riding. I'm current running ATF and I think this is contributing to me letting the clutch hook up to quickly.

I am proposing to use some Putoline 10w40 that I used to use in both sides of my Beta 350 RR Enduro bike. The thinking being it will slow down the action of the clutch and help me consciously slip the clutch more.

Does this sound viable? Ha ha.

Practice your clutch slipping technique, I use ATF as I like a fierce clutch, I have no problems with slipping the clutch.

It would be easier to slip with different oils but you run the risk of clutch dragging more.

Play around with the biting point adjuster on the lever, Set it up so the clutch bites earlier, This will make the biting point closer to where you finger has more strength and control.

The type of oil you use can change how the clutch works. the effects can vary widely on feel, if by widely I am saying 3 to 8%

Sadly, I am from the USA, and some oils I use are because of where I can even get them for reasonable price, and supply so I can get it just about without planning weeks in advance to order it...

I use Yamaha's semisynthetic snow-mobile engine oil, 0w-30... I might be a lot more tolerant to a dragging clutch. the better riders like the thinnest quickest clutch grabbing oil, so they seem to enjoy ATF.

I really like the 2 posts before me, it is a technique not a service. all I can add is the motoroil types seem to be favorable to new to pretty decent riders over here, and by decent mid levels with knowledge of most techniques... as you get better, and hopping and big stuff, you will have the slipping techniques down, and will migrate back to ATF...

Never be afraid to ask, experiment, and report... just make sure you know why, and by that I mean you cant fix mental problems with tools/parts on the bikes, but sometime you can find a trick that helps you a little.

Edited by sting32
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I often reckon riders use to high a gear and end up fighting the bike with clutch. I use ATF Dextron II and have no issues on same bike. I ride mainly 1st for all sections and 2nd for hills 3rd for big stuff.

Practise a section and then try it in 1st gear and you may be shocked how more control you have and what can be achieved in lower gears.

I agree with adjusting lever over playing with thicker oils.

Making sure the clutch plate pack has the right thickness also makes the clutch easier/better to control.

The GRO Gear Oil should make the clutch a bit softer to engage compared to ATF oil.