Sherlock 125 Engine Died And Won't Start

clarky021

Hi

I have a 2008 sherco 125 and never had a scrap of trouble with it ever.Today I rode a full trial and at the very last section(how lucky is that.) I parked the bike the bike up for 5 minutes.When I went to kick it back up it fired and started but wouldn't rev.i tried again and the same happened.I got it home and cannot seem to get a spark now.Should it be clear to see the plug sparking when kicked up?,I've checked wiring and am useless on electrics.Can anyone shed any light on what this may be please as I will no doubt have to put it in for repair and don't want a big bill if it could be something simple.A friend tells me it's normal sometimes not to see a spark as trials bikes need a good few big kicks to get it sparking( never heard that myself but).Any help is appreciated as I'm fairly new to trials and the bike has been great up till today.

Hi Clarky, yep had the same issues with a 125 Sherco '07. I could not find a spark in the field and could just about see it in the darkened workshop. I my case I cleaned up ALL the earth contacts around the bike, I think one was up under the tank on the steering head stem. That fixed it.

Cheers Taff

Thanks for info so far,I've took plug cap off and searched for a spark but nothing showing at all,I'm guessing it's either stator or coil pack.i lol try and swap coil pack with spare one if it fits but I'm thinking a stator rewind could be in order.

What do you mean taken plug cap off? Gou gotta remove plug and set in the head bolt for earth to see anything. You could have sheared a flywheel key, they will spark, but not run after shut off.

Checking the basics ofter takes care of things before jumping to conclusions.

Hi,I've unscrewed the suppressor cap and taken plug out,there's no spark from the ht lead when held next to head so I'm guessing it's not flywheel key as there's no spark at all.dealer says probably stator and is quoting £120 to fix with rewound stator if it is the problem.

As above, before you go any further get a new spark plug and connect it to the HT lead (the wire with the spark plug cap on it) ensure the old plug is removed from the bike.

Rest the new plug connected to the ht lead onto the cylinder head or any metallic serface so that the matalic part of the plug is touching the matalic of the cylinder.

Now kick the bike over and observe the spark or not.

Try this with the old and new plug.

Good luck.

Edited by jfc