Montesa 349 Questions

gravity

Hi

Just pick up a 349, and the front brake cable is on it's limit so no ajustment, so where's the best place to source cables.

It also has no side stand, where can l source one of these, or is there a generic one that can be fitted. I cannot see a place that it fits onto?

Only given it a little run around the garages, seems to be running fairly well, it has not been used for some time, but should the front come up easily, it seem to need a bit more effort that l thought it would?

And lastly why 2 sparks plugs fitted?

Other than the above am very please with it, done some very tight fiqure of 8's easily clucth fully out at very low speed overall impress with my new toy.

Will enter some trials soon in the south east, so hopfully get to meet some of you guys.

Are you sure the brake shoes are not worn out?

If they are good, then the cable could have been stretched, or perhaps the previous owner had fitted the wrong one.

As for the 2 spark plugs, mine is also the same (247) but only one plug lead from the coil, so I can only presume it is for a decompressor! (Unless someone tells me otherwise, and they are fitted with two plugs)

Could perhaps split the lead from the coil for the two plugs!

My side stand mounts to the frame near the foot peg.

Cheers

Shaun

Are you sure the brake shoes are not worn out?

If they are good, then the cable could have been stretched, or perhaps the previous owner had fitted the wrong one.

As for the 2 spark plugs, mine is also the same (247) but only one plug lead from the coil, so I can only presume it is for a decompressor! (Unless someone tells me otherwise, and they are fitted with two plugs)

Could perhaps split the lead from the coil for the two plugs!

My side stand mounts to the frame near the foot peg.

Cheers

Shaun

Not check the shoes yet, but the cable generally looks beyond it's sell by date.

Now l do seem to remember someone on here fitting a decompressor.

I thought the side stand would fit by the foot peg, but cannot see where one has been fitted?

Hi, Montesa stuff as I'm sure you have found, very hard to come by new, other than the odd stuff on fleabay, not a lot of choice, inmotion trials will have a few new bits, and will have cables etc, please feel free to join my facebook group......www.facebook.com/groups/hardtofindtrialsandaircooledmono

plenty of contacts for used parts as and when they come available, and look in the file section, parts / owners manual on there if you need too, good luck, feet up!

Cheers, Mark

Hi

Venhill cables are available on EBay , but as said you can adjust either at the handlebar lever or the brake lever position on its spindle.

There was originally a blanking plug fitted in the cylinder head that could be removed so that a decompressor could be fitted, many owners just took out the blank and fitted a spare plug so that if one plug breaks down or fouls up you just need to swap the lead over - it actually works and I also run a cooler plug for different situations.

Old Monts are not lightweight so you will find popping a wheely need some good technique and a well tuned bike.......

Cheers

Dave

If its a 1978 model its a 348, 349 came out from 1980, do you have any pictures?

Steve,

It is road register the log book just says Montesa (no model) only that's it's a 360cc.

Post some pictures later, but now l look at it, it has holes for rear footrests, so probably a bits and pieces of other Montesa parts.

id get new cables and shoes.. try the very quick s online you ll get it all there..fast and good value

id get new cables and shoes.. try the very quick s online you ll get it all there..fast and good value

Sorry but have you a link please?

Hi, Montesa stuff as I'm sure you have found, very hard to come by new, other than the odd stuff on fleabay, not a lot of choice, inmotion trials will have a few new bits, and will have cables etc, please feel free to join my facebook group......www.facebook.com/groups/hardtofindtrialsandaircooledmono

plenty of contacts for used parts as and when they come available, and look in the file section, parts / owners manual on there if you need too, good luck, feet up!

Cheers, Mark

Cheers, Mark

Thanks for that found Inmotion, very helpful, lots of bits on there way to me now, sorry not on face book, so cannot access your face book page. will have to sign up again one day.

• 3 weeks later...

Another couple of questions for you guys??

1. Is there a fix so that neutral can be found easier, l read on here or somewhere that there was?

My second trial today, it was a pain to find neutral but sometimes very hard, what was weird at the end when the  bike was really hot, it got easier.?

2. can you get an electronic ignition for a 349?

TIA

Edited by gravity

The best fix you can find for finding the neutral is locating it while the bike is still in motion. Otherwise you can improve the clutch by taking it out and using an abrasive file in the clutch basket. Almost for sure the discs have been marking its surface.

There are many options for your electronic ignition. But as I am a spanish electronic ignitions maker, my answer won't be neutral. :-)

Hi ,

one hole is for the spark plug the other for a decompressor . you need the decompressor for helping the kick starter it is important !

this is my soon's bike after motor rebuilt : https://vimeo.com/126010396

i find my part's here  http://www.francetrialclassic.com/fr/ but there's a lot of good dealers on the web

sorry for my bad english