Thoughts On This For Security.

steve_earle

Just seen this while browsing, I'm thinking a quick cut with a hacksaw or twisting it with a bar will have it off in no time.

Also it doesn't come with a padlock or bolts, Is this good value for £89?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTIMATE-MOTORCYCLE-SECURITY-BIKE-LOCK-ANCHOR-MOTOCROSS-TRIALS-ROAD-BY-ALCATRAZ-/151633015167?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

bike%20lock_zpsqxcfbfqd.jpg

From what I have seen defeated in these post, I would think the lock shown would just make a thief smile.

Do European guys chip your pets?

That same tech seems like a resource to explore and probably a cash cow for the right entrepreneur.

Here's a response I got from the maker.

It would take a fair amount of time to saw through using a hack saw as its awkward and thick. Box is always difficult to saw as saw catches on each face that it is sawing. It would also be very noisy.

At the end of the day no security device is infallible. You could put a bike in a safe and youd get in with a Stihl saw. Its all about time and noise. As ive said device is impervious to bolt croppers which are quick and silent.

I had 2 motocross bikes stolen in November. Both were ground anchored and secured with expensive Thatcham approved locks/chains. The thieves cut through both while i was asleep in bed.

This is a new concept so no Thatcham approval as yet. In fact i doubt i will go down that road. My insurance has no requirement for Thatcham approved devices it just stipulates that bikes must be secured to an immovable object.

We have designed this for owners peace of mind rather than satisfying insurers requirements which as i demonstrated above are useless against bolt croppers.

By the way I'm not trying to pick holes in a product I'm Just searching the best security available so wondering what others think to get a widespread view on it.

Use it by all means to slow 'em down, but look at this also:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-PIR-MP-Alert-Sensor-Motion-Detector-GSM-SIM-card-Alarm-Wireless-System-/271561920421

I've got one, and it works. You need a SIM for it, and a £10 Giff-Gaff or 3 Network PAYG (no need to renew every month as long as you message it periodically). Any activity in view range and it sends you a text / email etc. You can also get them that take snapshot photos and send them to you (although they are in the £50-£70 range).

Only problem: spiders. I had one that immediately took to it for a nest. However, better a false alarm than a missed real alarm.

Spiders shouldn't be a problem if your bike isn't a trophy bike and is used regularly and you place the unit on the bike itself ;-)

Red ;-)