Another Frame Identification Post

boghopper350

Hi. I wondered if anyone could identify this frame, I think that it is an early model that has had an aluminium bash plate added at some stage. I'm sorry about the poor quality of the pics... i think the autofocus was focusing on the background. i'll try to take some better ones later.The number on the headstock is 618292 This doesn't seem to correspond with any of the bultaco model identification sites.post-17408-0-19061100-1427656053_thumb.jpgpost-17408-0-24858900-1427656181_thumb.jpgpost-17408-0-87712000-1427656330_thumb.jpg

Model 80 or series 1 model 91/92. The frame side plates by footrests/swingarm mount would determine which but can't see it.

Bultaco frame number went from top to bottom and were on the right hand side of the head stock. That one goes bottom to top and is in the wrong place and as you say, not a Bultaco number

Yokes are from a mid 70s 250.

Thanks Woody, It looks like a bultaco frame though doesn't it? And the yokes are off an early lobito... refreshing to see the word yokes!!! I have added some more pics... you can see what's going on in these!! I have taken them in front of my later model 49 for comparison. The shock angle is steeper on the frame, the swing arm mount is a bit crude compared to the m49 and the brace around the headstock is massive also it seem to have earlier footpegs

post-17408-0-17215000-1427745362_thumb.jpg

post-17408-0-47316900-1427745477_thumb.jpg

Edited by boghopper350

Yes, can see the yokes clearly now, I thought the bar mounts were missing in the original photo but can see what they are now. The bottom yoke is very similar to the mid 70s 250 Sherpas

Now I can see more of it, your white frame looks more like a model 49, maybe a 27 but never seen a 27 frame, most likely 49. Rear shock top mounts match positioning of series 1 49 but picture not clear in that area so can't tell if modified or not. I think probably original. The rear sidepanel mounts aren't original, they've been added to take the slimline tank/seat unit mounts. Rear mudguard mount matches 49 type. Bolt on footrests are 49 type (also fitted to 80 but the frame headstock gusset is 49 as it has the mount for the rubber top hats either side.

Your 49 model in the background is an M91/92 series 1 frame, not 49.... (not that it matters)

• Like 2

Thanks fellas. All of the input is much appreciated, and pretty much how I see it... but why the strange number stamped on the headstock. Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of it. Sorry Woody, the bike in the back ground is a very late model 49, the serial number stamped on the headstock confirms this.

Thanks fellas. All of the input is much appreciated, and pretty much how I see it... but why the strange number stamped on the headstock. Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of it. Sorry Woody, the bike in the back ground is a very late model 49, the serial number stamped on the headstock confirms this.

Reason I mentioned it being a 91/92 is because it has a couple of features introduced on that frame. The frame is recessed where the spindle nuts locate, M49 is flat for the bolt on plates. It has the oiler in the swingarm and the headstock gusset is different from the M49

Not picking holes in it, just an observation

• Like 1

Hi not wanting to cause any dramas but I have to agree with Woody, front wheel,front hub, forks, triple clamps all M91/92 series 1 , the frame also appears to be series 1 M91/92. After the various M49s comes the M80 which is essentially the same frame only slimeline tank/seat and that model has none of the M91/92 frame/front end updates. Maybe someone has re-stamped the frame to suit the engine! The mystery frame is maybe an M27 or early M49 - looking at the rear top shock mount.

Cheers Greg

My little 250 sherpa, be it model 49 or 91/92 seems to be another classic case of the continuous improvement policy that bultaco employed at the time. Woody, I value your input, I wasn't trying to be funny. Thanks all for your help everyone.

Edited by boghopper350
  • Like 1

post-14329-0-59548000-1428074857_thumb.jpgWell there is certainly a mystery here with numbers, mayhap wont get resolved soon, In the meantime enjoy doing

what ever you like & just be sure to ride em hard & put them away clean.

Larry

Yeah, I missed it that far.

Edited by lbhbul
  • Like 4