Montesa 315R Floating Brake Discs Fix

renegade master

Hi Guys,

I have just bought my frist Montesa 315r!

Just a quick question, as Im new to the 315r scene, and the frist thing that is driving me mad is the brakes, the front and back disks are floating, (movement in the disk) this feels awkward! for a novice like me! as the bit of play in both disks makes it hard to blance, gain better control of the bike ......etc, so can they be tightened up, like using a insert or washer, and if this is done will it cause damage to the disk like warping it? has anyone else come accross this problem?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks everyone

Shoot me down,,,,,!

But i'm sure 15 years ago I had a dabble with a sherco and asked that question on here, but I recollect someone suggesting a mod for this was putting silicone around the disc collars ?????

Or am I dreaming ? :rolleyes: But I'm sure someone said "This was a mod" ?

Anyway just started learning trials again and got myself a 315r with "loose discs" I just run it now with no problems.

Craig. :D

As has been said, floating discs are normal.

If they are so bad that it effects the bikes control, then you need new ones. my discs move slightly, and I never had any problems with them making it hard to balance or effect the ride.

The problem I had was the chattering they did when riding with no brakes applied (when braking there was no sound as they are under tension) so to cure the noise, I did as Craig said, and just blob a little silicone on the collars.

Try that first, let it set fully, then see if that helps.

Enjoy your 315 they are a great bike, (don't forget to post a picture in "show us your monty")

Cheers

Shaun

• Like 1

Ok thanks a mil lads, I will take on board all your suggestions, and first thing I will do is put the silicone on the collars just incase they are worn out, and after that I might replace the collars if the silicone dont work! I will post up the outcome too! And i will post up a pic of the bike in a few days!!!

My 97 sections front disc rings when riding , serious floating rotor ... The sound distracts me but does not affect my balance or the performance of the brakes ... I should probably get some new bushing's or just take a few out and see how bad they are worn ... The rotor ringing at a standstill with just the clutch applied , no brakes , is annoying to say the least ...

My 97 sections front disc rings when riding , serious floating rotor ... The sound distracts me but does not affect my balance or the performance of the brakes ... I should probably get some new bushing's or just take a few out and see how bad they are worn ... The rotor ringing at a standstill with just the clutch applied , no brakes , is annoying to say the least ...

Try the silicone trick first, just a blob on each one and let it set.

Mine was exactly the same as yours, and now it is absolutely silent.

Cheers

Shaun

• 4 weeks later...