Ho! Burnley, Lancs Here.

redslayer

Hiya,

I'm 50 years old. I started on road bikes 5 years ago with a view to scrambling (from my teens). Now, I've decided to have a go at trials (something I aspired to do in my teens, but alas - finances, then family, kids, etc, etc waylaid that).

I had a tow-bar fitted, fitted a carrier, bought an OSSA TR280i 2011. Now what?

Yep - typical me - in with both feet (ignoring my favorite saying: "Never test the depth of a stream with both feet!").

Now, I'm struggling to find a legit / legal venue to just practice! Not a venue managed by a club - once a year, but regular, whenever I want (if it costs - it costs).

Any help here - much appreciated.

Distance does matter obviously; I'd prefer 50 mile-ish radius, but any distance to 100 mile radius appreciated.

Thanks,

Red ;-)

Back Cowm Quarry Whitworth , www.cowmleisure.com probably the best bit of trials land in the country. Not to far for you and more than enough for you to go at . Just check the website to make sure they haven't got a 4X4 day on . There are places in Burnley, I know where they are but not the address.

Phil

One Saturday a month Parkwood Off road open Tong Woods near Bradford. The next is this Saturday. Open all day for £15 and a butty wagon on site. Also on the Burnley to Todmorden road there is a site near Cliviger. You'll need to check Spen Valley's Site to get the location and also check that the Land owner is still allowing use of the area.

Edited by telecat

• 2 weeks later...

enjoyed my day sat with you and craig and made another friend but cant recall  your name. [sorry bud but very helpful and knowledgeble and look forward to seeing you again] me and craig couldn't help but admire your ossa what a bike sweet as a nut and what a bargain as well. will see you again in a fortnight but I have banged my wrist and need to do a service on the gasser. nice meeting you and enjoyed our day only spoiled by my ratchets failing 2 of them and having to stop to replace them. catch you laater and look forward to seeing you again.. 

Thanks guys.

This venue has been used for trials for 30 years.

Here's the Cliviger Google Maps co-ords - paste 'em in and it'll take you directly to the entrance.

(Otherwise, it takes some working-out without co-ords - due to lack of clear land-marks).

53.744993, -2.180452

Here's the link straight to it:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/53%C2%B044'42.0%22N+2%C2%B010'49.6%22W/@53.744993,-2.180452,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

The Google map is years old, so the first thing you now see as you arrive (on your left) that isn't on the map - looks like a concreted compound, surrounded by a green metal fence. (National Rail used this to store equipment for rail track repair).

So, turn left from the main road toward this compound and follow the dirt track round and down to the right.

Within a few hundred yards, you'll come to an underpass - under the rail track. Park around here.

Go with your bike under the underpass - you'll immediately come to a gate. Go through and SHUT THE GATE BEHIND YOU!

It seems that everywhere that isn't fenced is available to use.

There are sheep here, but they tend to go further up the hills. If you come across them - think about that - you've probably gone too far; I think that THEY are moving out of YOUR way up there.

The land-owner comes round periodically - it's a fiver for the day.

I chatted with the land-owner (his terrier took an immediate interest in me, probably 'cos I have 3 cats); he (the land-owner - not the terrier) is contemplating closing this venue during the week, due to someone on the top-road complaining about:

1) Noise (I think she dropped this approach as I'm sure you'd have to hang your head out a window with no wind and no traffic and no train going past to hear our engines), and I think that the Council have paid a visit and trounced that excuse.

2) Can now see 'white helmets' moving across the fields (through her low windows) - distracting intense viewing of Coronation Street ;-)

No disrespect here; if there's a problem - there's a problem, but I like to hear some logic in a complaint.

The terrain is excellent for trials; with choice for beginners (plenty of flats) and experts alike (vertical, high paths).

This isn't from the owner, but can you please:

1) Try to catch him - he ain't 'making' much out of this excellent venue, leave your fiver with someone or pay him double later.

2) CLOSE THE GATE BEHIND YOU (at the other side of the underpass).

3) Take all litter home! At a fiver a day - the owner shouldn't be worrying about litter collection.

Let's help him keep this venue open, and if you hear that he's having problems with the council - please support him.

ATB,

Red ;-)

p.s. English Electric: ditto - great day. I peeped you as I passed you towards Burnley - you gave me the thumbs-up, so I thought you were o.k. It was the ratchets that stopped you then? I think that that single ratchet across the middle was enough on it's own - did the other 2 fail?

The 'other guy' was Mike Wilby - bit of a 'vet' methinks.

I've sent his contact details to Craig. 

See you later. ;-)

Edited by redslayer