What's Going On With Gas Gas

gassa1

well fulltilt being an American that speaks volumes to me.!! on the overhand though me being from the uk I tend to be more level headed and logical . you seem to have a problem with china ??? why would that be. I on the over hand and being a gas gas owner do not care who produces the the parts bikes etc just as long as they do carry on producing them and that is the only concern anyone should have that the gas gas name continues.

and china is the worlds leader in rail tech fact we in the uk lag far behind and due to gauging issues always will.

next you will be telling me how you won WW2 in europe single handed

[not personally I may add]

well fulltilt being an American that speaks volumes to me.!! on the overhand though me being from the uk I tend to be more level headed and logical . you seem to have a problem with china ??? why would that be. I on the over hand and being a gas gas owner do not care who produces the the parts bikes etc just as long as they do carry on producing them and that is the only concern anyone should have that the gas gas name continues.

and china is the worlds leader in rail tech fact we in the uk lag far behind and due to gauging issues always will.

next you will be telling me how you won WW2 in europe single handed

[not personally I may add]

Level headed and logical? I was just stating facts, it doesn't get any better than that. Japan is the leader in high speed train technology, another fact.

Why would you infer I have a problem with China? I just said they didn't have the fasted train. This is how gossip starts, say one thing and then someone twists it around, adds supposition, hearsay and opinion.

And why would you bring war into a bike argument? That's just wrong.

As for Gas Gas or EssenceEssence or  گیس گیس

I think they'll go the same way of Bultaco and Ossa. Disappear for a few years and then show up with an entirely new product that may or may not last.

Why would you infer I have a problem with China? I just said they didn't have the fasted train. This is how gossip starts, say one thing and then someone twists it around, adds supposition, hearsay and opinion.

And why would you bring war into a bike argument? That's just wrong.

Because .....that's what happens around here.

I pointed out I could see no problem with gas gas bikes or parts being made in china or any were else for that matter I also stated that china rightly or wrongly was holder of the locomotive speed record .now for the record I do work on the railway and there is conflicting views that china is leading the way in railway tech I am not about to start cutting and pasting articles to prove or disprove a point.

the fact is do I care were I get my gas gas parts from no china india etc it does not matter it matters that I am still able to get them period.

Oh my. By history and nationality i am not supposed to identify bad run on sentences. I believe we are encouraged to speak like this here in America. So i think your trying to say that what has happened shouldn't have. Then your trying to expand with something about you not having experience on the subject. The banks are at fault and there were no contracts. Right?

--Biff

Biff, you seem to have contracted the misquotation disease from Nigel, you have my sincerest condolences. You missed the key words "very recent"

I included very recent because within the last 2 years or so I have not been involved in trying to obtain credit insurance, however I was fully familiar with its workings from the late 1980s until well after the crash (when it effectively disappeared). Bearing in mind the current levels of debt , both national, corporate and individual I would think it unlikely that credit insurance is readily available at the level needed to buy GG. Some insurance against bad debt for relatively small amounts such as up to a few £1000s is readily available.

"The banks are at fault and there were no contracts. Right?" From about 2002 it was pretty obvious to anyone who chose not to ignore basic economics that debt both government and individual was getting out of hand. What was not so clear was that banks were allowing the ratio of risky lending : secure lending + capital to get out of hand also. Then some of the debts go totally bad and the whole lot collapses because there is no real money. Governments print money and buy banks to stop the whole plot sinking completely. Putting it simply the fallout from this is that credit becomes nearly impossible to get even for a sound business venture. Because of the drop in demand the oil price starts to fall. For example take a company who supplies equipment to an oil refinery. They have to lay out a lot of money on materials, labour and transport before they get paid. If the end user goes bust before they pay the supplier, the supplier looses a lot of money and maybe goes bust also. To protect against this supplier would often take out insurance so they got paid by the insurer if the customer went bust. When the crash happened this insurance became near impossible or too costly to obtain. This in turn meant firms could not risk making goods for contracts where they might not get paid. The firm then had insufficient work and laid workers off. This means the government lost income tax,Possibly VAT and corporation tax right when it needed tax receipts the most. The laid off workers don't have money to buy other manufacturers goods and the lot snowballs into a recession.

How does this affect GG future?  Very briefly, Debt is still high and needs to be much lower before people feel free to spend on unnecessary items such as GGs. Credit is hard to get hold of and who is going to put money into what has already proved to be a financial disaster. That is why if GG is to be resurrected it needs someone who has plenty of money and is not necessarily looking to make a return (certainly not in the short term) on their investment. Vertigo has shown what can be done from scratch, so why bother buying an existing design?

http://www.lewisportusa.com/

3/6/15

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT----CURRENT STATUS AT GAS GAS / OSSA

June 2nd , 2015

Having just returned from a whirlwind visit to Spain we thought we would update everyone on the current GAS GAS / OSSA situation as we understand it.

One thing was very clear to us and that is that NO one at this point really knows what the final outcome of the situation will be, however there is a lot of speculation from a LOT of different people which leads to the same conclusions.

Gas Gas is now officially in Chapter 11 bankruptcy as of May the 18th with what appears to be a consolidated debt exceeding 45 million Euro !! (this figure seems to be changing on a weekly basis !!)  The court has appointed a Trustee who will (as early as this week) begin the process of analyzing the accounting records, employee contracts, supplier debts etc. This could be a fairly lengthy process with some people hoping it would take a few months and others believing it could take six months or more !!.

Meanwhile at the factory the doors are somewhat open and a few people are still working as far as Spare Parts supplies and some office staff .

The majority of people we spoke to believe as we do that when the time is right a new buyer of the company will emerge. Apparently they are already lining up and once the Court Trustee has figured out the situation the process of selling the business and assets would begin. For the remaining employees of the company, many are hoping this is sooner than later.

Gas Gas / OSSA Importers around the world have now been without bikes for over 5 months and for most this will have had a negative financial impact and just as we have, will have to make changes to “weather the storm”.

The same can be said for the hundreds of suppliers around Spain and Europe who also supplied parts to Gas Gas who could very well be owed money but will also see a reduction in their overall business sales.

We also learned last week that all of the Race team support was cut off. This was a big blow for the Enduro Teams as well as the Trials Teams including Adam Raga who is now hoping to finish the current WTC as a privateer with the help of individual importers.  Obviously this lack of factory support / incentives etc. eventually trickles down to many, many riders of all levels because of the cut backs national and local dealers will be making.

Sixteen months ago OSSA merged with Gas Gas. At the time the consolidation of these two brands seemed to make sense. OSSA had outgrown their production facility and needed a larger more organized production and administration structure to meet the growing demand, some government funding was also made available if both companies merged and worked together.  

Now OSSA is aggressively seeking a legal way to remove itself from the Gas Gas situation, however this would also have to be reviewed and approved by the Trustee. Again, many opinions differ as to when and if this may happen with some people saying a few months and others saying much longer. As with Gas Gas we remain positive that eventually OSSA will produce bikes again.

As the OSSA USA importer we remain committed to providing service to the customers who decided that OSSA was the best choice for them. Whilst we were in the factory last week we went around spares dept as well as all of the production line and picked out a substantial quantity of spare parts which we should be receiving in the next few weeks. When we combine this new shipment with the large amount of spares we already stock we believe this will sustain us for a prolonged period of time as we wait for more news.       

We are trying to stay positive during these awkward times and again would like to thank all of our Lewisport USA and OSSA USA customers for your continued support and if you need anything please do not hesitate to call/ email  us !!!

Adrian and Mandy Lewis

• Like 1

Wow, you guys have too much time on your hands. Take a deep breath, enjoy every minute you can spend on what-ever bike you happen to riding ... and remember that one huge rock from space, or the Yellowstone super volcano will render this whole discussion mute. I'm going for a ride in the mountains tomorrow.

• Like 1

Exactly my point. The GasGas name has some cachet and may be worth buying especially for a Chinese company trying to crack a global market that has traditionally viewed their products with suspicion. It could be Dubai or Singapore but in reality China has the infrastructure capacity to wade into the global market for recreational vehicles in a big way. But in case you haven't noticed, although there may be significant content in motorcycles coming from China a Chinese "brand" is surprisingly missing as a major player in Europe and the USA.

GasGas' misfortune present a perfect storm of opportunity.

However I think that the GG brand is too small, china products are most of the time very big volumes (could grow offcoarse, but trial market is not that big especially in home country and developing, which is most of the time their aim)

However I think that the GG brand is too small, china products are most of the time very big volumes (could grow offcoarse, but trial market is not that big especially in home country and developing, which is most of the time their aim)

Agreed, volume is king as far as the Chinese are concerned and the small output generated by trials bike manufacturers is why there has been no sign of a Chinese trials bike.

But if they could modify a commuter bike to cater for trials riders?? :blink: :blink:

I was out practicing yesterday and there were a few Gassees out who were genuinely shocked when they heard the news and now have financial decisions to make.

Also, I blagged a ride on a JotaGas and revelled in the suspension (sweet), I didn't want to mention the current state of Marzochi to the owner, I already felt like the harbinger of doom. :shutup:

• Like 1

I was out practicing yesterday and there were a few Gassees out who were genuinely shocked when they heard the news and now have financial decisions to make.

Also, I blagged a ride on a JotaGas and revelled in the suspension (sweet), I didn't want to mention the current state of Marzochi to the owner, I already felt like the harbinger of doom. :shutup:

It's certainly a very turbulent time in the trials world. Nearly 50% of trials bike manufacturers haven't a new bike available for sale in the UK.