Aerosol Lubricant/ Wd40 In Disguise

fmc

Look out for 3in1 oil spray at Aldi £1.99 for 200ml. Not always available but does the job. Both products will wash off after a trial so save the money ??

Also pound land often have 100ml on offer , but can't remember how much :)

WD40 harms rubber, most oils or solvents do?

Just this doesn't change my personal mind to use WD40.

I might have searched at the wrong spots but couldn't find anything better as "overall" oil to use for cleaning ... even Venhill recommends WD40 for their cables.

• Like 1

Boeshield is way to expensive to use on motorcycle chain, although it does a great job if you leave it overnight. There are a lot better trials chain lubes to use. I use it sparingly on mountain bike chain and again you need to use it day before so it dries off and leaves a non tacky surface. You can also buy it in bottles, this is best as there no waste, you can place it where you want.

Boeshield is great for hinges and pivots, but as solvent based don't get near anything rubbery or certain plastics, same applies to WD40.

Best thing to use is GT85, but not as a lubricant! I use gallons of the stuff, for water displacement and protection.

Venhill only recommend you clean their cables with WD40, and lube them with 3in1 or light oil. I'm surprised they don't recommend using Silkopen as it's engineered for lubing cables. It's a graphited spray, and I used this many times over the years and works a treat.

Boeshield is way to expensive to use on motorcycle chain, although it does a great job if you leave it overnight. There are a lot better trials chain lubes to use. I use it sparingly on mountain bike chain and again you need to use it day before so it dries off and leaves a non tacky surface. You can also buy it in bottles, this is best as there no waste, you can place it where you want.

Boeshield is great for hinges and pivots, but as solvent based don't get near anything rubbery or certain plastics, same applies to WD40.

Best thing to use is GT85, but not as a lubricant! I use gallons of the stuff, for water displacement and protection.

Venhill only recommend you clean their cables with WD40, and lube them with 3in1 or light oil. I'm surprised they don't recommend using Silkopen as it's engineered for lubing cables. It's a graphited spray, and I used this many times over the years and works a treat.

Other lubricant recommendation from Venhill for the cabels then the flush / oiling with WD40 is not provided from Venhill they even warn for using any other oil to cables,

you have to have confused something ...

WP_20150412_12_27_42_Pro__highres%255B1%

This is much different than WD40. I use T-9 on my cases in the winter to keep corrosion down to a minimum. Silly magnesium!

I wouldn't use this on a chain. It wouldn't last that long and would attract more dirt than it would protect. I have also used this as a waxy undercoating on my car. My Dad an Ex-Navy flight mechanic swears by this stuff. 

--Biff

WD40 and the similar Brunox Turbo Spray do harm some rubbers. (I think it's because they are petroleum based products)

I had to replace a clutch lever seal kit because I thought it was a good idea to lube the pivot points with one of those products, the o-ring was swollen.

Regular (engine) oil and grease have less negative effects on rubbers.

I've said it before: I don't think it's a good idea to use a product just because it's cheap, get something that is made for the job.

I've got Brunox "Deo" to lube rubber seals. It's made for lubing the fork seals of mountain bikes.

There are also special lubes that are safe for teflon lined kabels, for instance Shimano chain and cable lubricant.

I've used this for well over a year now and had no side effects as yet. Great on the chain when used before riding and after a power wash. Nothing sticks to it. Often found in Home Bargains for as little as a quid!

post-1466-0-74823100-1429021815_thumb.jpg

What you should use depends on whether you want to lubricate or displace water and clean. None of these are heavy enough for chain lube.

My favourite cable lube was Holts graphited penetrating oil

For getting water off a chain and stopping it rusting I tend to use WD40 (the cheap version from Smith and Allan)

I also use GT 85 for all round use, lever pivots, cables etc.