Not So Rookie Right Out Of The Gate! Putt!

biffsgasgas

It's gotta be great to be a Putt!!!

First you land on this months Cover of the AMA magazine then you have a great debut weekend in Texas! Wow... just wow. 

While setting up our event this weekend we up here in Michigan were glued to the NATC website.

Andrew was in 2nd place in his first loop Saturday and ended up third but just barely by 3 points! I bet he can taste section 2, 8 or 12 Saturday all of which had cleans or 5's. With his learning curve I am willing to bet that those mistakes are already ancient history. Well done young man!

Sunday looks like a silly 5 on last loop knocked him to 4th but that's really really awesome considering this young man just started riding this class. He totally dominated section 1 having the lowest score of even Smage. Again learning curve and with his great attitude we all will see another champ among us. 

GO MAN GO!!!

--Biff

http://www.mototrials.info/?trigger=res&year=2015

• Like 2

It's always nice to see the young guns making progress day by day.

Here are some youths at work in Warken:

I read somewhere else you were in Warken about one and a half year ago Biff. Did you come all the way from the States just to ride there? 

I read somewhere else you were in Warken about one and a half year ago Biff. Did you come all the way from the States just to ride there? 

Yes sir, 

September 2013 I came out for a quick birthday weekend for the Mrs. One of her home clubs is TCW Warken. She loves riding there and rides the Luxembourg series. I borrowed a Rev3 for an event and was reminded why I don't like Beta. I technically belong to MTC Saar Lebach where she lives during the week so I have a place to practice although I have not been there enough. She blongs to TCW, MTC Lebach and her local club where she grew up AMC Kerzenheim in the Pfalz region. I have also riden in Grossheubach where she generally follows the Luxembourg TDN each summer for practice camp. 

I am determined to pickup a GG there in Germany this year so I can ride my own bike in September and stop borrowing her GG. Eventually I am planning to live, work and ride there so I can bother all of you in person. :P PM me and I will get you my EU contact info. 

In the meantime I plan to cheer on riders here especially those who are going to be riding the world rounds. If you run into Andrew Putt in your travels tell him we are cheering for him. 

--Biff

• Like 2

What a life Biff .... :) 

But you know what always makes me smile ? In our sport , we can go anywhere in the world and just get a bike and blend in and ride a event . :)

and be accepted by our peers .  And thats a good thing :)

Glenn

• Like 1

alright so I'm not taking anything away from any of the pro riders in the USA. they are all awesome riders and very nice people. 

but...

So you said your amazed on how Andrew Putt did which why are you amazed? The kid does online high school and rides over in Europe for a few months at a time. He has been out of school for a couple years now so has a lot more time to ride and practice than any other pro rider or any rider for that matter in the USA. I know Logan Bolopue, Bryan Roper, Alex Niederer and Cody Webb are all full time students while riding the pro class and some of them also have jobs to. Pat has a very busy schedule also with shows and other events he has committed to. Over the past winter Andrew spent like two months or something like that in Europe practicing with team SPEA with toni bou and pol tarres along with many other up and coming riders. Andrew has also spent weeks at Pascuet off-road having Jordi Pascuet teaching him to ride better. So to me yes Andrew is a good rider and a great kid, but he should have been EXPECTED to do this well in the pro class even at his young age. If anything I'm surprised he did not beat Roper and Webb both days. But hats off to the USA Pro riders they definitely do not get the recognition they deserve.

Sounds like Putt has been working his butt off to improve his riding and it is paying off - great to see a young up and coming rider able to dedicate the time and energy to really excel at the sport... Congratulations to Putt and to MotoTrials USA for what should be a great season of higher level competition.

just my 2 cents.

All of the pro riders deserve respect I agree. I do not want to diminish anyone's ability nor down play anyone's situation. I am also aware of his travels and online education. I'm simply saying that a year ago he was no where he was this past weekend. Two years ago he was not close to an expert first place rider. Not an insult or down play to his abilities. Its great to see him advance so much in so little time. Hard work and dedication has its rewards.

Hats off to all of the pro riders. Keep up this level of competition as long as you can.

--Biff

Yes sir, 

September 2013 I came out for a quick birthday weekend for the Mrs. One of her home clubs is TCW Warken. She loves riding there and rides the Luxembourg series. I borrowed a Rev3 for an event and was reminded why I don't like Beta. I technically belong to MTC Saar Lebach where she lives during the week so I have a place to practice although I have not been there enough. She blongs to TCW, MTC Lebach and her local club where she grew up AMC Kerzenheim in the Pfalz region. I have also riden in Grossheubach where she generally follows the Luxembourg TDN each summer for practice camp. 

I am determined to pickup a GG there in Germany this year so I can ride my own bike in September and stop borrowing her GG. Eventually I am planning to live, work and ride there so I can bother all of you in person. :P PM me and I will get you my EU contact info. 

In the meantime I plan to cheer on riders here especially those who are going to be riding the world rounds. If you run into Andrew Putt in your travels tell him we are cheering for him. 

--Biff

Nice! You're welcome to bother us sir.  B)  

I'm from the north of Belgium and I've only ridden in two places in Germany, namely Gressenich and the classic trial in Hergenroth.

Both are held in nice locations, specially if you live in area that's as flat as a pancake, like me.

So I guess Lebach and Kerzenheim would be nice places to ride too.

I'll keep an eye out for Andrew and if you happen to run into Maxime Warenghien you can do the same.

He's by far the best Belgian rider at the moment but he lives in Switzerland.

And Pat quietly cleans 69 out of 72 sections as a ho hum . Id like to see time on course included in results as well , I understand he motoed the course ,He wont lose too many events on time penalty points.

Great point.

--Biff

Edited by biffsgasgas

I remember his first year there  were around 7 riders and he got 7th  by just 1 mistake or poor call all year  and then I think he won the last 2 events out east.  The most surprising part of pats success is being from Wisconsin ,no vertical terrain  ,few  real high end riders to compete with  and  a shorter riding season. To be on track for  a big WTC career it would be nice to see  an American match Pats early accomplishments  . His first 2 rounds in Guatemala saw him with no minder (my shoulder was repaired ) and  2 days on podium , then the next weekend in Italy he  took 1st  , then almost every ride was  a podium through 125 s  and  blue line  rides, he even cleaned  Poland on 125  and 2 days clean back to back -blue line  Portugal.  Unfortunate he never  really did  a full season, partly he  had  been struggling with  a pars defect(hairline crack in lower back vertebrae, and also  we were mostly doing it  out  of self funding . There was also  a large  discomfort felt  ,never felt welcome, from being treated as invisible in sign up ques  ,to not really getting much support ,as teams  are quite engrossed in their own gig,and  why would they want  to be beat by someone  so foreign. Not sure what has or may have changed  ,but hopefully some of those issues  are not  as big of deal for kids trying now. We will see.

• Like 1

That never feel welcome thing is a bit of an adjustment. Here in the states I love that statement "Oh cool!" that people say when showing up with a trials bike. When showing up at an event most everybody will go out of their way to greet or welcome you.in America it's totally acceptable to ask a total stranger how they are. Its in our culture.

I haven't found that as much in Europe. It's not that Europeans are not friendly.(probably gonna get beat up over saying this) In Europe They want to get to know you first before friendly banter can start. It feels like you are being judged as a stranger and it feels like work to integrate. Now that hasn't in every case for me but I have felt that. I have several welcoming arms in Europe but it's not an instant thing. On top of all this you have a language barrier.

Norm you better not let Phil know about that lack of competition in the neighborhood. :P but your right on multiple points. Having Pat comming off your farm with a good head on his shoulders is amazing. I would hope that the skills of all pro riders pushes him even further but we mostly want to see Pat happy. He makes us happy with his skills. Andrew makes us happy as well. All of the pros make us proud. As enthusiasts I feel we need more of this. Amazing learning curves, honest and fun competition, and fresh skill sets will only make the sport here better.

--biff

Edited by biffsgasgas
  • Like 1

Did someone write that for you  it was very well worded?  The british riders-mostly Wigg and Lampkins  would always  chat with us  and yes  in Sherco pits not knowing any Spanish was a big problem.  It was better for short time  Browns minder could help us . 

• Like 1

alright so I'm not taking anything away from any of the pro riders in the USA. they are all awesome riders and very nice people. 

but...

So you said your amazed on how Andrew Putt did which why are you amazed? The kid does online high school and rides over in Europe for a few months at a time. He has been out of school for a couple years now so has a lot more time to ride and practice than any other pro rider or any rider for that matter in the USA. I know Logan Bolopue, Bryan Roper, Alex Niederer and Cody Webb are all full time students while riding the pro class and some of them also have jobs to. Pat has a very busy schedule also with shows and other events he has committed to. Over the past winter Andrew spent like two months or something like that in Europe practicing with team SPEA with toni bou and pol tarres along with many other up and coming riders. Andrew has also spent weeks at Pascuet off-road having Jordi Pascuet teaching him to ride better. So to me yes Andrew is a good rider and a great kid, but he should have been EXPECTED to do this well in the pro class even at his young age. If anything I'm surprised he did not beat Roper and Webb both days. But hats off to the USA Pro riders they definitely do not get the recognition they deserve.

Not sure who you are, but that almost p****s me off that you could say that! EXPECTED? Really?

Fortunate perhaps, to be able to go there and practice and learn at his young age, and he obviously eats it up, but he still lacks experience. Oh yes, he has the drive and determination and will do well, yet not overnight!

Pat practiced a lot, but got his ass handed to him in the Pro class here when he started! Not a happy lad! Yet he had the perseverance to hang in there and gain the experience! In the sections!

Way to go Andrew! Hang in there buddy!

• Like 2