Ty175 Identification And General Queries

dombush1

Hi Folks.
Very new to to this so looking for a bit of help from people who know about TYs. I had a TY80 as a kid but haven't had a bike since then. Bought an 80 for my boy at christmas and have just picked up a cheap TY175 off Gumtree for myself. Worried I have been a bit hasty as it needs more work than I thought initially. Anyway these are the things I'm wondering.

1. The frame has some lugs and fixing points on that I haven't seen on any other TY frames. Does anyone know what these are? Is there any chance the frame is from a different bike or am I just worrying?
2. It has come with a Sammy Miller tank and seat combo. Am I right in thinking that this is an upgrade and it will have come with a metal tank originally? I prefer the metal tank so if I decide to do the work on the bike I would be looking to put a metal tank back on as long as it fits correctly.
3. Can anyone tell me what model TY175 it is?
4. Is there somewhere on the web you can input frame and engine numbers to check year and origin etc?
I have uploaded some pics of the bike below if you want to have a look.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Many thanks

IMG 1087

IMG 1086

IMG 1085

It's a TY125 frame not a 175

The 125 had an ignition switch located on the left under the headstock, your's still has the lug but no switch.

in some countries they didn't sell a TY175 with this frame, but they did here and they were very popular

in some countries they didn't sell a TY175 with this frame, but they did here and they were very popular

Well spotted, looks like I may have jumped the gun as they also produced this frame for the 175 in Europe too, under the model 1K6

(edit: No they didn't Ian you fool, the 1K6 was a 125) 

Come on Dombush what's the prefix on the frame and engine numbers?

Edited by ourian

In my country the bike to have back in the day(late 70's)was a TY 175.So it was never imported in our country.When you orderd a TY 175 you get a Ty 125 with the 175 Kit which was changed at the main Dealer for Yamaha Motorsort in that day(Manfred Weihe).When you picked it up it was a 175 and you could take your 125 barrel and piston and bity and pieces back home.That's why a lot of people over here have still brand new 125 barrels in shade.

• Like 1