Beta 200

fastbelly

Hello chaps, I think I have just sold my 2013 TXTR250, which was a lovely bike but was a handfull in the mud, I have struggled for grip all winter, I think it is too much of an experts bike for me. I am a reasonable clubman rider and sometimes ride 50/50. I had a Scorpa 250 2005 for years and loved the smooth motor, it was a great bike. I would love that sort of power again, nice and smooth, not spinning up at the slightest provacation. I have heard good things about the Beta 200, but there are so few about I have not managed to blag a ride on one and cant find any objective reviews on line. Anyone here got one or has ridden one that can give me some idea? I am a heafty bloke at a little under 16 stone but riding my Fantic 240 is no problem for me at 212 cc, it has plenty of grunt.

Thanks in advance for any info given.

Glenn

Fastbelly, I bought a brand new Beta 2015 Beta 200 and sold my 2012 GasGas 250 to my nephew. Everybody will say that the 200 is a great bike but the problem with mine is me! As a novice, I fitted a slow action throttle, low compression head insert and a flywheel weight to my Gasser and it runs beautifully, it is so smooth. Many people would say it's tamed too much and I've ridden other people's 125's that have more fire in them but I loved it. The problem is, you cannot get a low compression insert for the 200, only the 125 and 250. It was the head insert that had the most effect of smoothing my GasGas250. As I said, I know the problem is me but I find my Beta rough only because it doesn't run like a sewing machine. Other people have ridden mine and say it's great. Therefore I would say, the Beta 200 is a fab bike depending on what you rode before. With hindsight, perhaps I should have bought the Beta 250 and put a head insert in that, I didn't do enough research on the matter before buying. I have a bit of OCD and my Beta has every possible guard on it (fork, swing-arm, frame, exhaust, left and right side full engine) and has duct tape under the guards and is therefore absolutely as new. A good offer could probably take it off me.

I have had an 03 200 for several years now and love it It has a smooth power delivery and is not to fiery for me I started on a 200 1957 DOT went onto various Villiers powered bike then Bultaco My friend has an 07 but it is much more fiery than mine tried it at a trial was not my style of power He had a run on a evo it had even more power but it could be the way they are set up and the riders like it that way  Owned a  200 Sherco nice bike but the Beta suited me better for my riding style

A few new selections popping up now within striking range. Missed a real nice 300 in March down in your direction Michael_t, yes it's me one province west of you, didn't have my money ready in time for that one, OK I'm still a couple weeks away from being ready. A pristine 2010 Beta 200 went on sale in Ontario CA. for $4500 earlier this week but was gone in a day. An interesting trend I am noting is $3500 gets you a 2001 - 04, 250cc or a slightly newer and cleaner 270, 290 or 300 so you can have a newer better looking larger bike for the same or less money. An interesting social observation strongly supporting the preference to smaller bikes and bigger is not better, that this forum has been advising since I signed on. I hope to find a good bike at the first of May. There is a really good looking 2009 Beta 290 for $3900 about 6 hours drive from here.

Edited by pat_56

I posted on http://www.trialscanada.com/smf/

That there were not many used bikes for sale in Canada in a hope that more would get listed in their classifieds, an old TY got posted but was gone in 3 days... you got to be quick :). there are a few on craiglist in BC. You only need to be launched into the trees once or twice before realizing a 300 can be a handful.

First event is May 3rd but it is in Berwick so a bit too far for you to drive anyways, although the fellow who bought my 200 is driving 6hrs to be there - great to be young and keen. Hopefully the snow will melt a little faster this week as this is a picture of the venue last week

snow2.png

Edited by michael_t

I posted on http://www.trialscanada.com/smf/

That there were not many used bikes for sale in Canada in a hope that more would get listed in their classifieds, an old TY got posted but was gone in 3 days... you got to be quick :). there are a few on craiglist in BC. You only need to be launched into the trees once or twice before realizing a 300 can be a handful.

Well, in very few words Michael, you have summed up the quandary in this area: "Very few bikes" and fewest of all are the 200's. I have always been a little, somewhat, OK I'm Very impulsive, so if a good looking bike big or less big - and my money are in the same place at the same time I'd be denying decades of personal history if I tried to pretend it won't be going home with me size aside. The 250's seem to be the most "USED" while there seem to be more larger bikes that are relatively spotless. Maybe it's because they performed an air show into the burdock's and cat tails then got parked.

Edited by pat_56

I have even been looking at the occasional add for a 125 and wonder how that would work with my 200+ pounds aboard. I watched some clips of the air cooled 125 Scorpa and it actually looked quite a potential for the kind of riding I will in all reality be doing for the 1st year or two if the right deal happens along... one of those might even entice me to part with my old XL200 "the bus" which I would otherwise keep for trail riding.