Montesa 247

montesaian

I have acquired a 1974 ish 247, it has a part of the crankcase missING between the magneto and the kick-start which I believe is a common problem. When I was in the process of removing the flywheel I took the other side crankcase cover off and found this inside. Before I start pulling stuff apart could anyone enlighten me where it might have come from..

Thanks Ian

post-21255-0-06368500-1429628447_thumb.jpg

Hi Ian

As Feetup says it looks like broken piston ring! Got no idea why it was found inside the clutch cover, definatly not a good idea to have anything loose in there. Does the engine have a good compression? Have you had it running? If not you might have to remove the cylinder to check the piston .....

Yes the cracked magneto side crank casing is a common fault where a previous owner has fitted the kickstart too far forward mistakenly thinking they would get a better kick through - all it does is allow the stop arm to punch through the casing. Repair it with plastic metal glue and strengthen with a metal strip. When refitting the kickstarter make sure it is at the one 'o' clock position.

Cheers

Dave

That is defenately a piece of piston ring, you can see the notch on the end for the locating pin.

Like you say, strange how it ended up inside that cover, the only thing I could think as the previous owner had the cover off as he was lowering the barrel he snapped it off and it fell in there, he didn't see it and re-fitted the cove! (Only a guess, we will never know)

Ian, did you make sure there was no more pieces?

And the rings that was on the piston, where they broken (I.e. Was this piece missing from them)

Cheers

Shaun

Gents thanks for all your feedback, Shaun I have the engine out now and will strip it down over the weekend (should be tiling the kitchen but hay!! ) and check all is in order over the rest of engine, need to replace the l/h crankcase so will check as I'm going along. Anything unusual I should look out for when splitting the case ?

yes I would think there is a pretty good chance of there being something unusual inside your 247 motor ;)

seriously - if you are using a different LH crank casing it would be a good idea to do a test-assembly of the gearbox with the correct centre gasket before you fit the crankshaft

• Like 1

I would get the original casing repaired to reduce the potential for reassembly dramas

If it is just the hole that the kickstart creates in the magneto casing, I would not pull the motor apart to fix it, but would fix it while it was apart if I had to pull the motor apart for some important reason

• Like 1