What Did You Do To Your Bultaco Today?

scot taco

Mark, coming along very nicely!!

Be careful of that what appears to be a very long clutch arm, may just be the photo, but it really needs to

be as straight a pull as possible.

Beautiful work and attention to detail.

My last M85 was just OK compared to yours.

Have a good day

Larry

After getting some (once again) great advice from Larry, I've decided to find some time and just enjoy my Sherpa, rather than continuing to tear it apart hunting ghosts!  I bet I discover my riding ability is WAY BELOW this bike's ability! 

I did get a chance to break out the paint remover and take off about three coats of black paint on the head.  Now it's looking stock and oh, so pretty!!!  Love my shiny Bultaco!

Happy Monday!

post-20184-0-57362400-1441646832_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I picked up the frame of my M166 Alpina from the powder coating firm this morning. Spent the day starting the final build. Forks and rear shocks only fitted temporary as I still have to polish and paint these items. Mudguards are original and are stainless steel.

Stuart

post-547-0-14603400-1442080743_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Stuart, Looking good, carry on and keep us posted. Interestingly we just machined a 166 cylinder ( standard bore) to match the deck height

of a 199, we shall see how all that works out for the Sherpa T getting back to where it started bore wise.

Some slight differences in port timing however the exhaust port came out within a few thousandths of the same.

Intake will have a little more duration.

At this point the thing starts nicely. The timing will be made correct before any carb tuning will take place.

Stay tuned

Have a good day

Larry

• Like 2

Mark, my clutch arm is roughly 59mm between centers, I also had  front brake lever

that some Sherpa Ts' came with and it is around 75mm c/c.

I believe the longer lever will work, however you might take a look at your front brake lever.

Which ever you use, rig it so the cable pulls as straight as possible.

The arm works best for me when setting as near perpendicular as possible.

Have a nice day

Larry

• Like 1

Hi,

I know I'm well off topic - but the discussion about the BSA four wheeler and the ensuing discussion reminded me, yet again, that far too FEW current riders really understand the background/history of our sport.

So, at risk of being a boring old fart, as ever, here goes.

In the very early years of the 20th century (i.e. 1910 - 1920-ish) there were many small companies being formed to exploit the potential of engineering.  They were taking over from the village blacksmith by adding the skills of metal turning, alloy casting, etc.

Mechanical transport was beginning to blossom as the future - replacing the horse for many occupations.  Then came the Great War of 1914-18 and suddenly there was a need for large scale mechanisation coupled to war product manufacture.  

That resulted in the creation of, for example, BSA - nothing to do with motorcycles or cars initially - because BSA was BIRMINGHAM SMALL ARMS, manufacturing guns and associated materiel.

Likewise Royal Enfield - just look at the badges.

After the War they had large companies full of engineering machinery looking for anything that would keep them in business - at Small Heath that turned out to be vehicles............

As ever, whatever - enjoy.

Edited by laird387
  • Like 3

Due to all my messing about with pipes and whatever  I needed to come up with an air box/carb hose

that would get around a M92 style frame re. down tube/straight intake manifold.

My good friend @ the auto parts store took the time to find this hose for me.

attachicon.gifPicture0725150942_1.jpg

after some cut and fit

attachicon.gifPicture0724151535_1.jpg

hose is Gates #20849

attachicon.gifPicture0724151420_1.jpg

Have a nice day

Larry

Thanks again Larry!

new%20info%20920%20001_zpsoubsa29e.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

This week! I have been mostly recording the engine sound of my Bultaco!

I did this because I have the intention of doing a complete engine rebuild and to have an idea of the improvements I made. :unsure:

So, if anyone hears something and thinks: wait a minute! I know what that rattle is, please let me know :thumbup:

Edited by guys
  • Like 1

Yes lots of piston slap when cold and warm. The modes of piston rattle are different at different RPMs and temperatures which is why the noise changes

Are the rings freely moving, or gummed up?

The cylinder fins sounded like they were ringing. Are the fin dampers OK? It might just be the way the phone records the sound

Possible noise from crankshaft main bearings

Could not hear any conrod or primary chain noise

• Like 4

Yes lots of piston slap when cold and warm. The modes of piston rattle are different at different RPMs and temperatures which is why the noise changes

I was thinking the same but wasn't sure;

Are the rings freely moving, or gummed up?

They might be, because at a inspection I noticed a serious build up of black sticky stuff in the exhaust port and on the crankshaft bearings (when replacing the crank seals)

The cylinder fins sounded like they were ringing. Are the fin dampers OK? It might just be the way the phone records the sound

The dampers are old and not complete. Already had the intention of replacing them.

(because I came very close to the engine with my camera, the rattles were a bit louder than normal)

Possible noise from crankshaft main bearings

Going to replace them also when the engine is dismantled

Could not hear any conrod or primary chain noise

Primary chain was already replaced.

Thanks for your thoughts and advice. :thumbup:

Edited by guys
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...