What Oil Ratio? (I Know, Not Again Right?)

sawtooth

2012 300cc, currently running it on 70:1 which works out at 71ml per 5L (5000ml / 70 = 71.4ml)

BUT

My exhaust tip has quite a bit of black sticky residue around it and it does smoke a little when running, more so than my previous bikes. So could/should I start adding a little less oil?

Edited by sawtooth

i was running my 2013 at about the same as you, until i went on a training day and he recommended 10ml per litre, my bike runs better and it's easy to remember.

Woah! Isn't that 500:1?

EDIT/ I miss read that, it's 100:1, I thought it said 10ml per 5L

Might give that a try then.

Edited by sawtooth

You need to mix it at 65:1, that is 75ml of oil to 5 litres of fuel, no more, no less....

Any good quality 2T is fine but do not use Silkolene......

That's what Gasgas UK said and i have been using.......

That's actually more oil than I currently add so surely that would just make things worse?

You need to mix it at 65:1, that is 75ml of oil to 5 litres of fuel, no more, no less....

Any good quality 2T is fine but do not use Silkolene......

That's what Gasgas UK said and i have been using.......

I'm using silkolene at the moment, what's the problem with it?

you've got me worried

Two strokes smoke and they get black sticky residue around exhaust outlet.

General consensus for a modern trials 2T engine is 80:1 = 62.5ml per 5 litres of petrol, however a ratio of 100:1 is also acceptable.

Check that you're not running too rich as this can make the smoking and residue worse.

General consensus for a modern trials 2T engine is 80:1 = 62.5ml per 5 litres of petrol, however a ratio of 100:1 is also acceptable.

Check that you're not running too rich as this can make the smoking and residue worse.

Awesome thanks

The oil as we all know is the main lubricant in a two stroke engine and is necessary to stop seizure/wear/damage. Its not all as cut and dry as that though as the amount of liquid passing through the engine at any one time is also vitally important and very often the cause of seizure rather than the ratio of oil in the fuel mix. 

me too 1.2%

oil Shell Advance Ultra or Motul 710   100% sint

Beta evo 300

and 1.4  (70cc in 5 liters)  in old Fantic air cooled

May be worth re-packing your tail pipe as it could just be a build up of old oil that is causing it to smoke, especially if it get worse just after a hard long climb.

If your bike is running well check the packing before changing your oil ratio.