What Oil Ratio? (I Know, Not Again Right?)

sawtooth

May be worth re-packing your tail pipe as it could just be a build up of old oil that is causing it to smoke, especially if it get worse just after a hard long climb.

If your bike is running well check the packing before changing your oil ratio.

Good shout thanks, I'll do that also.

Ive been running 80ml to 5 litres for years yes the tail pipe gets a little oily but its not excessive in my view. I think more oil = less friction so maybe less doesn't equal more power ?

But talking to ossa owners recently who are running 30ml to five litre !! Yes the ossa is fuel injected but it still has a bearing at each end of the conrod and a piston / bore to lubricate. The bikes in question are nearly a year old and the motors are not noisey. The main bearings are lubricated by gearbox oil like a gas gas.

So we maybe need a lot less than i thought?

I've run 80:1 for years. I have noticed a variation between brands of oils.

I'm very fussy on carburation and engine response.

Ipone semi is great, only slight smoke and nice and crisp.

Putoline is junk!, both my Sherco and GG didn't run as clean on it and when left even for a 3 weeks it leaves treacle in the carb. I still have half a bottle that is only good for soaking chains in.

The shell semi stuff that I brought in an emergency is actually very good.

The oil I'm using at the moment is the GRO semi synthetic and it's spot on, Only tried it as Ipone was out of stock and I needed oil in a hurry.

To be honest most people won't tell the difference between oils but I run a high state of tune and compression with a Keihin carb and I run right on the lean limit mixture wise just before it knocks.

I won't run less than 80:1 as I have had a partial sieze once being in the wrong gear on a hill and it wasn't reving high for long just enough to get me out of trouble after I commited, another thing that put me of Putoline. The bike should have never seized that quick.

My exhaust tip has quite a bit of black sticky residue around it and it does smoke a little when running

Sorry for maybe being stupid, but what exactly is wrong with this? Are you ultra paranoid of having a clean bike and uber environmentally friendly?

These must be the worst reasons EVER!!! for doubting the amount of oil you use in your fuel.

Edited by faussy

Sorry for maybe being stupid, but what exactly is wrong with this? Are you ultra paranoid of having a clean bike and uber environmentally friendly?

These must be the worst reasons EVER!!! for doubting the amount of oil you use in your fuel.

It's more residue than all my previous bikes, and smokes more than my previous bikes. This is my 6th trials bike.

Personally i wouldn't trust a 2 stroke bike that hasn't oil in the exhaust or smokes. Currently running 50:1 on a 2015 300 and wouldn't entertain anything below 60:1. 

What's the reason for not just going with the GAS GAS figure of 50:1 from the owners manual?

Ditto

Edited by faussy

I would have a look back over all the previous times this issues has been raised.

I was under the impression that the sport of motorcycles trials was about reliability, not stopping and not putting your feet down. Now the number of posters suggesting ever less amounts of oil in the fuel makes me wonder if we should have a separate branch of the sport, the aim of which is to see who can run the least oil in fuel ratio before the bike seizes.

• Like 1