Oset 20 - Relay Doesn't Click When Switched On...

Hi All,

Hoping for a little wisdom.

My lads 20" stopped running the other day after riding with the rear brake dragging a little.  Anyway, the current situation is, the keyswitch powers on the throttle LED's showing full power but the relay doesn't click.  I've checked the switch feed to the relay and I don't see any voltage.  The switch feed seems to originate from the controller, so my only thought is that the controller is goosed.  I've also tried another set of batteries just in case they are on low charge.

Any other thoughts?

Cheers,

Wayne.

Hi All,

Hoping for a little wisdom.

My lads 20" stopped running the other day after riding with the rear brake dragging a little.  Anyway, the current situation is, the keyswitch powers on the throttle LED's showing full power but the relay doesn't click.  I've checked the switch feed to the relay and I don't see any voltage.  The switch feed seems to originate from the controller, so my only thought is that the controller is goosed.  I've also tried another set of batteries just in case they are on low charge.

Any other thoughts?

Cheers,

Wayne.

when you tested the voltage to the relay did you measure the voltage across the relay coil ?  or did you use the common ( black lead of the meter ) connected to the neg at the battery ?  

what do you get if you disconnect both wires that go to the relay ( the thin wires ) and connect your volt meter to those thin wires.. do you get voltage.. do the relay click if you supply 48v directly to the relay coil from the battery ? if you post up a picture of the relay i will point out the coil connections for you.

I wired the relay directly to the batteries, it switches fine so the controller just isn't supplying the switch voltage.

I've checked the power to the controllers (yellow and grey wires) and power is getting to the controller.

I've attached a photo of the wiring.

post-9648-0-32837600-1430163999_thumb.jpg

with the key switch on i.e power down the yel and gray  .. do you have 5v on the red and black wires that go to the speed pot or the thottle pot, if you dont then it looks like the controller is at fault.. when you directly powered the relay did you see if the bike then worked ?

No power to the red/black wires of the speed pot, I can't easily check the throttle as the go into a 3 pin twist connector and I don't know which is red/black.

When I powered the relay direct, the wheel wouldn't spin and the LED's on the throttle stay static (no visible drop in power).

Controller looks buggered I suppose  :wall:

I'll have word with OSET today and see what they say...

yes it sounds like the lv supply in the controller has gone .. and if this is the case a new controller will be required.  Yes see what Oset say they may be able to shed some more light on it. see how you get on.

From bad to worse, now checked the motor (orange/blue wire to a battery) and nothing...even went as far as applying all 48v, nothing...

Looks like the motor zapped and its taken the controller with it! 

Both motor and entire electrics on its way to OSET...I'll keep you posted.

look on the bright side .. the controller needs a load on them to work ( not sure about the relay ,, i will check and report back ) so its possible that you controller is ok... so it sounds like th emotor has gone open circuit  .. and maybe its just the brushes ( motors very rarely open circuit ) , or is that wishfull thinking...

Edit:

Just tested a 20" controller  ( one with the 3 pots but is prob the same as the 2 pot controller ) the relay do not switch if there is no motor/load on the motor wires..   so your controller is prob ok and its the motor at fault... and my bet its the brushes.

Edited by gwhy

Many thank for testing that....damn....I've now totally removed all the controller, the associated wiring and the motor and boxed it up to send to OSET.  I'll still send it all to them I think as they offered to test it all.

Wish I'd known that before stripping the wiring back...hope I can get it all back together!  :icon_salut:

I'll keep you posted with what happens...I've learnt something anyway, no motor, no relay!  There very little technical info online, so hopefully this will all be useful to someone else in the future.

Thanks again for taking the time to test that and all the other help you've given!

To help anyone else with similar symptoms, the final solution was a motor rebuild (new brushes).  It would appear that the relay won't switch if the controller sees open circuit on the motor.  The controller and electrics tested fine, so the whole issue was down to the motor.

Many thanks to gwhy for all his help.

Edited by waynerobshaw